Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Jose Fernandez Headed to the DL

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

21ccl

Aug 26, 2012
Man that sucks, he is a such great pitcher and has a wonderful personality.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
Jerry Crasnick ‏@jcrasnick 5m
Mike Redmond apparently said Fernandez has an elbow "sprain.'' #Marlins news release says it's a "strain.''

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
@Ken_Rosenthal Source says that #Marlins' Fernandez just had second MRI and adds, "This isn't promising."

scotty216brs

Apr 15, 2012
MA
That sucks, Fernandez was absolutely DOMINATING so far....leading the league in K's by 2. Hopefully it's nothing serious that requires surgery, just some rest or whatnot.

Was thinking the same thing, tbh. Wouldn't surprise me to see him take Fernadez roster spot for the time being, they need a big arm to fill those shoes and Heaney fits the bill.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
Welp, there is is. The "T" word.

. [MENTION=2695]jimb[/MENTION]owdenESPNxm Jose Fernandez has a tear in his right throwing elbow for those that are trying to debate the injury.

T = TJ. :(

craftysouthpaw

Jan 8, 2010
This is why I hate when the Bowman checklists are too pitcher heavy. And not that anyone cares about anyone else's fantasy team but my rotation heading into this year consisted of Medlen, Beachy, Fernandez, Matt Moore, and Darvish. 4/5 wiped out by TJ.

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
ESPN -- The Miami Marlins believe ace Jose Fernandez will need season-ending elbow surgery, National League sources told ESPN The Magazine's Buster Olney.

Fernandez was placed on the 15-day disabled list with a sprained right elbow earlier Monday, manager Mike Redmond announced. Fernandez will return to Miami for further evaluation as the Marlins await more results from today's MRI in Los Angeles.

Fernandez's average fastball velocity decreased in each of his last four starts:

April 22 96.1
April 29 94.8
May 4 94.5
May 9 93.7

A bevy of pitchers have been diagnosed with torn elbow ligaments, requiring Tommy John surgery, since the start of spring training, including Braves right-handers Kris Medlen, Brandon Beachy and Cory Gearrin; Diamondbacks ace Patrick Corbin; Athletics starters Jarrod Parker and A.J. Griffin; Rays All-Star Matt Moore, Yankees starter Ivan Nova, Padres starter Josh Johnson, Mets closer Bobby Parnell; Royals setup man Luke Hochevar; Tigers reliever Bruce Rondon; and Pirates top prospect Jameson Taillon.

Matt Harvey and Stephen Strasburg are other All-Stars who have had the ligament transplant operation that can take 12 to 18 months for recovery.

"That's probably what everyone is going to talk about and continue to talk about," Redmond said. "We've protected him. We've been consistent in how we've used him, with his workload. We've given him extra days. That's a question I don't think anybody has the answer to."

Fernandez, 21, is 4-2 with a 2.44 ERA in eight starts this season. He leads all of the majors with 70 strikeouts.

However, he was roughed up during his last outing against the San Diego Padres Friday night. Fernandez gave up six runs in five innings, including two home runs.

u2me57

Mar 21, 2014
Hendersonville, Tn.
Coming from a Phillies fan I think this is really sad. It's not good for the Marlins or MLB. I've enjoyed watching him pitch the few times I've seen him pitch. I thought something was up when the Phillies roughed him up a few weeks ago. I hope he has a smooth recovery and comes back as good as he was before the surgery.

jmc280zx

Aug 11, 2008
SoCal
Kids are getting call up way to quickly now a days... What happened to the days were it would take 3-5 years of minor league development before players got a call... I personally think this has a big impact on all the injures that have plagued both hitters and pitchers..

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Kids are getting call up way to quickly now a days... What happened to the days were it would take 3-5 years of minor league development before players got a call... I personally think this has a big impact on all the injures that have plagued both hitters and pitchers..
That's not true. Players used to get called up much younger. Kids just out of high school often made their MLB debut with little to no minor league experience.
Today's players rarely get called up as a teenager or 20 year old, unless they're a super-prospect like Bryce Harper or Mike Trout.
Jose Fernandez was 21 for most of his rookie season.

Joe Nuxhall was only 15, Carl Scheib was 16 and Bob Feller at 17. That would never happen today.

Ty Cobb was 18. Christy Mathewson was 19. Walter Johnson was 19, Babe Ruth (pitching) was 19. Mickey Mantle was 19. Willie Mays was 20. Ted Williams was 20. Stan Musial was 20. Nolan Ryan was 19. Dwight Gooden was 19. Greg Maddux was 20. Steve Carlton was 20. Two-time Cy Young award winner Bret Saberhagen was 20. Rickey Henderson was 20.

Those are just some of the famous ones I can think of. Tons of players every year through the '80s used to get called up who were younger than Fernandez. And pitchers weren't breaking down like they are now.

Last edited:

jmc280zx

Aug 11, 2008
SoCal
That's not true. Players used to get called up much younger. Kids just out of high school often made their MLB debut with little to no minor league experience.
Today's players rarely get called up as a teenager or 20 year old, unless they're a super-prospect like Bryce Harper or Mike Trout.
Jose Fernandez was 21 for most of his rookie season.

Joe Nuxhall was only 15, Carl Scheib was 16 and Bob Feller at 17. That would never happen today.

Ty Cobb was 18. Christy Mathewson was 19. Walter Johnson was 19, Babe Ruth (pitching) was 19. Mickey Mantle was 19. Willie Mays was 20. Ted Williams was 20. Stan Musial was 20. Nolan Ryan was 19. Dwight Gooden was 19. Greg Maddux was 20. Steve Carlton was 20. Two-time Cy Young award winner Bret Saberhagen was 20. Rickey Henderson was 20.

Those are just some of the famous ones I can think of. Tons of players every year through the '80s used to get called up who were younger than Fernandez. And pitchers weren't breaking down like they are now.

And most of those pitchers didnt not start 28 games their rookie year (only a year and 1/2 after being drafted/signed) they spent a couple years in the minors then were sept call ups and pitched in very few games and just a few more the following year (if they werent sent back down to the minors)...

AmishDave

Featured Contributor, Collector Showcase, Senior M
Sep 19, 2009
Ely, MN
No good, for fantasy, for MLB or for the hobby. I guess collector's of his now will know my plight.

Overall, it sucks though :(

Members online

Latest posts