Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Spotlight: 1987 Baseball cards

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
Maybe we all can make something like this a regular post?

Spotlight a certain time period or cards or players.

When I think of this year, it brings me back to my childhood, especially card wise.

Besides being the start of the card boom for the hobby, it was also the year in which my collection exploded!

Prior to 1987, I bought a good amount of cards, but nothing like I did during this particular year.

Anyway, on to the sets.

TOPPS:
Definitely one of the most recognizable and liked designs of the last few decades. A throwback to the '62 design for sure.

All sets from this year had a super strong
Rookie card class and for the first time in years, topps brought back the "rookie cup" logo and invented a new "future stars" logo.

Although there are several error cards, the only two which garnered any hobby love were the all star cards of Mattingly and Gooden with a missing ™ next to the A.S. logo.

As the season went on, the hottest card turned out NOT to be a rc, but a second year card in Mark Mcgwire who broke the rookie HR record. And even a couple of years later, another second year card blew up, Cecil Fielder and then about 15 years later, Billy Beane.

Topps cards could be bought in many different configurations including wax, cello, raks, jumbo, vending, cut cases and sets.

A traded set was issued later in the year with the best rc being Maddux.

DONRUSS:
For the first time in several years, the average collector had a chance of finding '87 Donruss in retail stores as the company increased production. For several years prior, generally the only place to find packs were in hobby stores or mail order.

Donruss also benefited from the awesome rookie crop that year and definitely got kudos for including Mcgwire and Maddux as Rated Rookies.

And while none of the error cards really took off (maybe the Greg Walker DK drew some attention), it was a printing defect which became hot for a short time.

The Mike Greenwell rc could be found with and without a red stripe defect on his arm. Enough of the stripes were printed that, for a while, Beckett noted it as a variation and prices soared.

In a time when everything was mass produced, one error card from a forgotten set could be legitimately considered very scarce.

Donruss made a factory set called "opening day" which consisted of many players on the opening day rosters.

The Barry Bonds card can be found showing Johnny Ray instead of Barry and was corrected extremely early.

Later, Donruss issued a "rookies" set which smartly included another Mcgwire and Maddux card.

FLEER:
Donruss was "the card" to get from '84 till '86, but Fleer took over that notion in 1987 with an awesome color fading border design and innovative "cut out photo" which showcased heads, bats, balls, hats etc outside the photo border.

On top of that, production was much lower than Topps and Donruss and the hobby noticed.

Many of the hottest cards at some point came from this set including Will Clark, which went from a few bucks to $40 plus seemingly over night. And then as Bonds was chasing history, his Fleer rc was THE card to get.

One of the few things Fleer did wrong that year was neglect to have a McGWIRE card in the main set. Surely it would have made the product even hotter.

The biggest blunder they made was when they decided to make their own version of a high end "tiffany" product, like topps had been doing.

Because the regular issue was so hot and in demand, when the pre order sheets came out, dealers went nuts and pre bought tons of it so as to not "miss the boat"

Instead of actually limiting it, Fleer let the presses roll and after it was issued, it became clear that this glossy set was made in large quantities.

Later on, they produced their update set which included Mac and Maddux.

Last edited:

mmier118

Jan 29, 2010
I love 1987 from a cardboard prospective. Honestly I think this was my favorite year of cards as a child growing up. Thanks for the great rundown I can't believe that those came out 27 years ago, I guess I am getting old lol.

digicat

Nov 10, 2009
Nor-Cal
If Fleer printed 1987 Fleer Glossy to demand, how did they blunder? Or did they have to buy-back unsold stock?

fordman

Feb 22, 2013
Ohio
The 1987 Fleer Tiffany sets were produced and sold in a tin can type container. They were sold in case quantities and if you wanted a set, you paid around $80 for it. Dealers where offered case quantity pricing but had to order a minimum to get that pricing. Bo Jackson & Paul O'Neill were also sought after cards from that set.

Fordman

Sent from my DROID4 using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008
Cory Snyder, Pete Incaviglia, Todd Worrell, Kevin Mitchell, Barry Larkin, the list goes on and on from that class

AND NO ONES EVEN MENTIONED BO MANIA YET!

(Edit-now they did!)

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
I didn't want to totally cover everything, leaving open for others to expand on.

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
The '87 rookie cards of Ruben Sierra, Pete Incaviglia, Mitch Williams and Bobby Witt were huge in Dallas when I was a kid.

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
If Fleer printed 1987 Fleer Glossy to demand, how did they blunder? Or did they have to buy-back unsold stock?

It was supposed to be pretty limited like the topps tiffany sets.

Going into 1987, the topps tiffany issue were being limited to either 10k or 5k sets

Fleer blew that up and instead let the presses roll to an estimated 100k to meet demand.

So many collectors and dealers got burned on this product because of the production amount that Fleer killed all momentum (and sales) for their future glossy sets.

Sent from my HTCONE using Freedom Card Board mobile app

BunchOBull

Dec 12, 2008
Houston, TX
I love 1987 because it's Frank Thomas' debut on cardboard:

1987AuburnTigerGreatsPSA10.jpg
1987PanAmBlue36.jpg

fordman

Feb 22, 2013
Ohio
1987 Donruss were available through candy/gum/cigarette distributors (where I bought them by the case load). I wish I had the foresight to buy up all their wax stock as they had cases and cases of it in their warehouse sitting from years of non sales, but hindsight is always 20/20.

Sportflics were available through the same dist. as the Donruss were. They were cool as hell, sold at a premium at the time and somewhat limited quantities were available in certain areas. But, if you called Sportflics direct, they'd sell single boxes to you.

Sent from my DROID4 using Freedom Card Board mobile app

DaClyde

Jan 17, 2010
Huntsville, AL
For several weeks during the summer of '87, when my mom took me to KMart, I picked up a rack (blister) pack of 1987 Donruss and the latest issue of Fantastic Four. Good times!

Taking a gander at the first 1988 issue of a certain price guide magazine (to give 1987 the chance to have run its course), here are the high "values" for more valuable cards from the main 1987 sets. It was always interesting how players values seemed to fluctuate from set to set for no obvious reason.

Donruss
22 Eric Davis DK ERR 3.00
31 Benito Sandiago RR 2.25
35 Bo Jackson RR 1.50
38 Devon White RR 1.75
46 Mark McGwire RR 7.50
52 Don Mattingly 2.50
66 Will Clark 1.75
97 Jose Canseco 2.00
135 Wally Joyner 2.50
142 Kal Daniels 1.25 (really looked promising in 1987, but then in that rabbit ball year, so did everyone else)
224 Pete Incaviglia 1.50
252 Wade Boggs 1.50
265 Eric Davis 1.75
346 Ruben Sierra 1.50
585 Mike Greenwell 2.00

Still in the "Who Knew" category:

36 Greg Maddux RR .15
361 Barry Bonds .45
502 Dave Cone .25
627 Kevin Brown .15

Fleer
29 Wade Boggs 1.50
86 Wally Joyner 2.50
104 Don Mattingly 3.00
128 Pete Incaviglia 1.25
138 Ruben Sierra 1.50
198 Eric Davis 2.00
269 Will Clark 1.75
369 Bo Jackson 1.25
389 Jose Canseco 2.00
646 Devon White/Willie Fraser 1.75
652 John Stefero/Kevin Seitzer 8.00!!

604 Barry Bonds .50

I thought Fleer looked the best of the three major sets. The right blue borders made the colors on many of the players uniforms really pop (slightly out-of-focus photos notwithstanding). The Eric Davis was just a beautiful card.

Sportflics
1 Don Mattingly 3.00
2 Wade Boggs 2.00
10 Roger Clemens 1.25
22 Eric Davis 1.25
25 Pete Rose 1.25
26 Wally Joyner 2.50
37 Pete Incaviglia 1.00
44 Reggie Jackson 1.00
75 Tri-Stars Mattingly/Joyner/Murray 1.25
90 Jose Canseco 2.25
95 Will Clark 1.25
158 Big Six Rookies (Palmeiro/Seitzer) 1.75
159 Best of the Best (Mattingly/Clemens/Gooden/Rickey/Murray/Murphy) 1.75
190 Bo Jackson 1.75

Hobby publications always seemed to be really high on Sportflics, but while they were certainly the novelty of the time, I didn't know a single collector who liked them.

Topps
80 Wally Joyner 2.00
139 Devon White 1.50
150 Wade Boggs 1.00
170 Bo Jackson 1.25
259 Mike Greenwell 1.50
261 Ruben Sierra 1.50
366 Mark McGwire 3.50
412 Eric Davis 1.50
420 Will Clark 1.50
466 Kal Daniels 1.75
476 Danny Tartabull 1.00
500 Don Mattingly 2.50
550 Pete Incaviglia 1.25
606A Don Mattingly AS ERR (no TM) 2.50
620 Jose Canseco 2.25

604 Barry Bonds .45

While usually the most popular of the three, 1987 Topps had some very murky photography, almost back to 1981 Donruss/1982 Fleer quality.

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008
Up here in Wisconsin I don't think ever saw Donruss or Fleer outside of a hobby shop until 1988, then they were everywhere. I think that added to the mystique of Donruss and Fleer at the time. 2 of my favorite sets to this day. The beautiful blue and the sleek black balls

u2me57

Mar 21, 2014
Hendersonville, Tn.
1987 Topps was one of my favorite Topps sets. It was the 1st set I opened up packs with my son, who was 6 at the time. We bought lots of packs and had a great time opening them. My collection really started to grow after this. My son doesn't collect cards any more but did for several years. Baseball cards helped both of us become big baseball fans.

Sig40cal

Jul 23, 2012
Atlantic Highlands, NJ
Oh man so many memories of this year in cards. I started collecting in '86 but '87 was my first full year at full steam. There were 4 or 5 places around me to get Donruss, Fleer or the wooden Topps so I just assumed they would always be there. Not so much. I think the only place from then that is still open is a coin store that sold cards on the side.

jbhofmann

Mar 12, 2009
Indiana
I live in a small rural Indiana town (pop. 2,000) that has a family owned grocery store that's been in business for 70 years. I can still remember getting '87 Topps wax packs at the register of Woodruff's.

A little side story:
The local barber, whose shop is right next door, would have the shop's Playboys delivered to the grocery so his wife wouldn't know.

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
I opened so much 87 topps as a kid that I knew most of the cards just by the top of the players hat.

BenG76

May 15, 2013
Fancy Gap, VA
I loved 87 Topps back in the day. Donruss and Fleer weren't as easy to find that year for me. It wasn't until 88 that I could find Donruss regularly and Fleer was hard to find until 89. I have actually been considering a box or two of 88 Fleer lately as I only remember opening a few packs of them back then.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts