Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

55-year-old Julio Franco signs with Independent League team, Ft. Worth Cats

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
ESPN -- Julio Franco thinks he can still play professional baseball at 55 years old.

The three-time All-Star and 1991 American League batting champion with the Rangers has signed with the Fort Worth Cats of the United Baseball League as a player-coach.

He played 23 seasons in the big leagues before ending his career at 49 years old, with a .298 lifetime batting average and 2,586 hits.

He was an All-Star MVP for the Rangers in 1990 and played for the Phillies, Indians, White Sox, Brewers, Rays, Braves and Mets in addition to Texas.

Franco's first game will be on Tuesday.

"I'm very excited about the opportunity to play and coach in Fort Worth and reconnect with my friends, former teammates and Texas Rangers staff members," Franco told the Cats' website. "I love Fort Worth and I'm very excited about the opportunity to work with the younger players and entertain the fans."

digicat

Nov 10, 2009
Nor-Cal
When you combine all of his hits from any level of professional baseball, Franco's 8th all-time with 4024 hits.

Interesting list:

Pete Rose: 4769
Ty Cobb: 4379
Hank Aaron: 4245
Jigger Statz: 4093 (racked up over 3k minor league hits!)
Minnie Minoso: 4073
Derek Jeter: 4065
Ichiro Suzuki: 4034
Julio Franco: 4024

Last edited:

hive17

Aug 7, 2008
I'm pretty sure he holds all the MLB records for being the oldest player to do everything.

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
When you combine all of his hits from any level of professional baseball, Franco's 8th all-time with 4024 hits.

Interesting list:

Pete Rose: 4769
Ty Cobb: 4379
Hank Aaron: 4245
Jigger Statz: 4093 (racked up over 3k minor league hits!)
Minnie Minoso: 4073
Derek Jeter: 4065
Ichiro Suzuki: 4034
Julio Franco: 4024
That's really cool. Thanks for posting it.
And Jigger Statz... what an odd name, but Statz does have great stats.

DaClyde

Jan 17, 2010
Huntsville, AL
Somehow I'd just assumed he had still been playing somewhere all this time. Looks like he last hung up his spikes in 2008. The Cats should bring out the rocking chair like the A's did for Satchel Paige.

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
Topps just tweeted he will be in "dynasty" with an auto patch numbered to his age.

The patch is from a 1990 senior league Jersey topps found in their warehouse when topps used to make those cards.:p

Sent from my HTCONE using Freedom Card Board mobile app

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
ESPN -- Julio Franco thinks he can still play professional baseball at 55 years old.

The three-time All-Star and 1991 American League batting champion with the Rangers has signed with the Fort Worth Cats of the United Baseball League as a player-coach.

sure, why not! He's going to be the next Minnie Minoso! I bet he'll eventually tie Minoso's active player mark unless the 88 year old Minoso can hang in there another 6-7 years.

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Since someone bumped this two-month-old thread, I'll give you an update.
Franco has only played in seven games, all at DH, and is hitting .222 with 0 homers and 1 rbi.

Members online

Latest posts