Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Am I wrong to be pissed?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JoshHamilton

Aug 7, 2008
On larger $1k+ transactions, I prefer paying via cashiers check. I don't trust PP enough to protect me on a $2500 transaction. I do with my bank.

I never specifically state I want the item mailed to me the next day after it arrives. I always ask before hitting the BIN if a seller is able to send the card quickly, if he can only send on weekends, etc. I also tell them I'll be overnighting it and including an extra $30 for it to be overnighted to me.

On the Trout blue, the guy didn't pick it up from the PO for 5 days, waited another 3 days to deposit it, another two days to check to see if it'd cleared, then another two days to send it. Bought a Stanton blue two weeks ago...same crap. Didn't deposit it, didn't bother sending it out for nearly 10 days, and to top it off sent it with $100 of insurance. I sent him an extra $20 to cover $1200

Am I wrong to get pissed? Is asking if they're able to mail stuff out/get to the bank in a timely manner, and tell them I'm spending an extra $75+ out of my own pocket for overnight both ways...isn't that just common sense that I want the damn thing soon? I mean this is common sense...right?

nosterbor

Jun 20, 2010
Sunny Florida
You are correct. I would be pissed also. I also hate when a seller states payment must be made in 3 days or card will be relisted. So you pay within an hour. Then get the card in 10 days. Sorry my brother died! The last seller that pulled this, I replied to him that I must be bad luck for sellers because he was the 10th person in the last week I won an auction from who's brother had died. ( True story ) Happens alllll the damn time!

fordman

Feb 22, 2013
Ohio
I think it's all about that little piece of paper check clearing the bank. Anyone with a good printer can fake a check. Most banks put a 5-7 day hold on checks, especially out of State and non-same bank checks. Plus, you get the opportunity to cancel the check in the same 5-7 day window in case there is something wrong.

Stick with PayPal since now I believe they are considered a bank and have FDIC Insurance.

Yes, kinda crappy for them to put $100 insurance on something you paid to have $1200 on. That part, you are due a refund

Fordman.

Last edited:

JoshHamilton

Aug 7, 2008
I'm in good standing with my bank and they release the hold within a few hours of it electronically hitting. The branch manager actually clears it for me the second it comes to him.

Thats only been an issue one time, and it hit within a day or less. Its more lazy sellers screwing around and not depositing or mailing in a timely manner.

Im guessing that since I can't ding them on stars, they screw around. I get $12 cards sent through regular mail faster

ASTROBURN

Jun 23, 2011
Santa Cruz, CA
I dont see why it takes so long to ship. Not just in your situation, but most sellers in general. Whenever I sell something, when it gets paid, i print out a label that night, and drop it off in the mail on the way to school the next morning. Sometimes, I am too fast. One time a buyer asked me to send it to a different address 12 hours after he paid. Too late dude, its on its way already to your address on file with ebay.

You should get a refund if you paid for an extra service and didnt get it, thats for sure. But I would also try to stick using Paypal. That would cut your wait time since you dont have to get a cashiers check and wait for the mail to get to the seller, and then wait for him to cash it blah blah blah...

digicat

Nov 10, 2009
Nor-Cal
Am I wrong to get pissed? Is asking if they're able to mail stuff out/get to the bank in a timely manner, and tell them I'm spending an extra $75+ out of my own pocket for overnight both ways...isn't that just common sense that I want the damn thing soon? I mean this is common sense...right?

Did the seller agree to your request beforehand? Could be that the guy simply didn't have time to make a trip to the post-office or to the bank except for when he did.

Handling a payment outside of Ebay/Paypal just seems unnecessarily risky. If everything goes sour, it seems like it'd be a lot easier to open a paypal claim than a small claims court case.

Lancemountain

Apr 11, 2009
Philadelphia
You know you're not scamming, but look at the other side. Guy insists on paying cashiers check. (Unusual) guy offers to pay extra (unusual) to send it quicker.

Maybe they are looking at it that once they overnight it, the check cancels? Maybe that's why they are slow to ship.

gogosox40

Mar 16, 2010
Chicagoland
Why do you pay for insurance on the card? I can see you paying insurance on the check but its the sellers responsibility to make sure the card gets to you safe and secure.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Freedom Card Board mobile app

mmier118

Jan 29, 2010
Just from my point of view if I was the seller I would honestly be worried about being scammed. The red flags are that you want to pay by check, which is non standard and out of my comfort zone, you want me to mail the card before I'm fully satisfied the funds are cleared and your sending me extra money for things I should pay for the insurance and the quick delivery kind of like its Monopoly money. Now I know you are not scamming anyone but due to all the scammers and scumbags out there that social trust has been broken and I would look at this transaction from a very skeptical view, my fear of loss would be very high and I would feel like I was missing something. So this might cause me to delay shipping until I was reasonably sure I wasn't going to get scammed on a chargeback. I would however explain this to you and say this is when it will ship and this is the reason why but I also can understand that people might not want to say that out of fear of losing future purchases from you. Hope this helps

Mike

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
Yeah, you have a right. But like everyone else has said, the way you do the whole transaction is odd. And doing something odd to a guy sending a card worth a couple large is not going make the process any better. My questions would be why do you want the card expedited to you? What's the hurry? I know nobody wants to wait but if the choice comes between you have to pay a nice chunk to have it overnighted plus it makes the seller jumpy, or, you could just wait for normal shipping and save your money and the seller anxiety...why not go with the latter?

As far as trusting paypal...I know if you use a credit card and paypal won't work with you, your credit card company will and they'll take it up with paypal. So either way you're not holding the bag. Or, if done through your bank account, I'm sure the bank would help you out as well.

I understand your frustration. But I think a lot of it stems from how you've chosen to go about acquiring these cards. And if that's the case, modifications need to be made on your end.

Dpendola

Apr 16, 2013
This is so frustrating.! You have every right to be pissed off. Same exact thing happened to, I bought several cards from one seller and he said cards were shipped same day as payment..It was over weeks later that I heard from him..told me his grandmother died and that he would ship cards ASAP..funny because he told me he had already shipped them. Anyways I never did get any cards but I did get my money refunded after I opened a case with ebay. Some people...

HPC

Aug 12, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
I would not ship until the check cleared especially on high end cards

Your request for immediate shipping would also send off a red flag to me that your check might not clear

theacox

Jan 19, 2013
I would not ship until the check cleared especially on high end cards

Your request for immediate shipping would also send off a red flag to me that your check might not clear

Yes, this. Cashier's checks are regularly faked these days. I wouldn't even accept one at this point.

jcmint

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
I would cash that check the next day as soon as the funds cleared your cards would be shipped next day as per whatever level of postage you paid for

CatdaddysCards

Trade Moderator
Mar 12, 2010
Cherryvale, KS
I'm afraid I wouldn't go out of my way. It's a 25 mile drive to my bank. Not looking to make that trip just to appease someone. Especially when someone WILL eventually purchase the card, be less demanding and pay with my preferred method of payment.

Casebusters

Aug 14, 2008
Viera, Florida
If you discussed this with the seller and he agreed to do what you asked prior to bidding, then yes, the seller is at fault. If you assumed the seller would do this,
w/out asking him, then you are at fault.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Bill Menard

Aug 26, 2008
I'm afraid I wouldn't go out of my way. It's a 25 mile drive to my bank. Not looking to make that trip just to appease someone. Especially when someone WILL eventually purchase the card, be less demanding and pay with my preferred method of payment.

Huh? 25 miles to a bank. LOL!!! Steve, WTF - time to move!

Actually, 25 miles shouldn't even matter... Many banks have mobile apps. Mine even allows me to take a camera pic of the check and deposit it through the mobile app. One of the greatest inventions ever ~ I used to hate going to the bank to cash a check.

As for OP post, I wouldn't ship either until I was 100% certain the funds cleared my bank, and that can vary by institution and have absolutely nothing to do with your bank. Too many red flags with your request, but yes, I get it. I too am very impatient and want stuff faster than is reasonable to ask. I try to refrain from driving people nuts on buys, but there are times you are just so excited to get a purchase that unreasonable requests tend to seem reasonable.

I do see your concern with paypal and protection and the hassle. That is why CC through PP is always a great option! The CC company will always have your back (at least they have for me).

Members online

Latest posts