Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Are Panini baseball cards more sophisticated than Topps? (Child Age Ratings)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
Minutiae that only I find interesting probably, but...

I noticed Topps baseball cards are rated for Children ages 6+, while Panini cards are rated for Children ages 9+. (Side note: can't find a rating for Leaf brands.) Got me to wondering how these ratings are determined, and why they might be different.

$_57.JPG

$_57.JPG

I found a 313-page document from the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC). https://www.cpsc.gov//PageFiles/113962/adg.pdf Best I can determine, baseball cards would fall under "Card, Floor, Board, & Table Games." I then looked at the differences between a 6+ and 9+ rating. For 6+, children can grasp simple strategies and have trouble reading directions, and at 9+ they can use complex strategies and can read directions clearly. Collector card games are rated 6+, but sports games rated 9+.

I don't understand how the different companies determine their Child ratings or who approves them. I think these ratings are necessary for games that are imported or exported. I think it would be more advantageous to the card company to have a 6+ rating than a 9+ (wider audience). I also think the 6+ rating is probably the most accurate, as 9+ is more for advanced concept card games involving strategy. So I wonder why Panini is rated at 9+, unless they went by the suggestion of "sports" related games. Maybe Topps just uses a 6+ rating for their Pokemon brand and carries it over to all their cards. Who knows? Who cares?

Anyone have any brilliant ideas why Topps cards are "dumber" than Panini?

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
No one over 9 will trust Topps about their redemptions anymore, so they lowered the bar... :)

(I have no clue but imagine there may have been different people who rated them and they view cards in different ways.)

Members online

Latest posts