Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Matt Kemp loses starting job. Could be on the trading block.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
ESPN LOS ANGELES -- The Los Angeles Dodgers are dealing with an increasingly delicate situation when it comes to former All-Star center fielder Matt Kemp.

Tonight was the fifth straight game that Kemp was out of the starting lineup.
And after the game, the whispers that Kemp had lost his job went public.

After tonight's game, Don Mattingly told reporters that last thursday, he told Kemp he was no longer the team's center fielder, after his particularly rough defensive night against the New York Mets at Citi Field. Four extra-base hits went over his head, contributing to all four Mets runs. Kemp also dropped a ball he picked up on the warning track to allow a run to score.

The MVP runner-up in 2011 has been openly grumbling about losing his starting job in the clubhouse, making for a tense situation for some players.

Dodgers general manager Ned Colletti said he isn't concerned with the potential for clubhouse discord now that the former superstar is no longer playing every day. He said he and Mattingly were on the same page, that the Dodgers needed to do something to fix the outfield defense.

One potential solution to the situation is to trade Kemp, but that will prove complicated, given the $107 million the Dodgers owe Kemp between the end of this season and 2019, and given his recent injury history.

Kemp, batting .264 with five home runs this season, played just 73 games last year and underwent ankle surgery in October.

Last edited:

nerdherd020

Feb 9, 2011
California
Crawford suffered an ankle injury last night and could be headed to the DL so that might quell the rumors for now; Kemp in left, Ethier in center and Puig in right.

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
LF - Scott Van Slyke > Matt Kemp

I hope Kemp has taken enough LF practice that he won't do something boneheaded there to cost the Dodgers a game. We'll also have to see how he does at the plate.

EDIT: Just saw a report Crawford has been placed on the DL. Didn't say what the corresponding move is. Isotopes are in Sacramento so it won't be a PITA to send someone to Los Angeles if that's the move. I have my doubt it will be Joc because the talk has been to let Joc have a full season in Albuquerque.

shame Carl went down - he seemed to have got his stuff together since the visit to Target Field.

Last edited:

HPC

Aug 12, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
With Kemp's leg issues, he's best suited as a DH.

Take him away from fielding and the chance of getting hurt out there and I think his career will be extended multiple years.

His contract is a huge issue, though.

Not many teams in the AL can take on his albatross or will pay for an aging and now oft-injured DH

James52411

Administrator
May 22, 2010
Tallahassee, FL
There's no reason he can't play left field or 1st base at this point in his career. The Red Sox should look at picking him up on the cheap to play a corner outfield position.

maxe0213

Oct 10, 2012
California and Oregon for school
There's no reason he can't play left field or 1st base at this point in his career. The Red Sox should look at picking him up on the cheap to play a corner outfield position.

I'd love for the Sox to sign him. Another defensive liability who is injury ridden? The Yanks would have an even easier time to beat them.

I'm sure Kemp's attitude would be great in that clubhouse too ;)

gt2590

Super Moderator
Aug 17, 2008
Near Philly
I'm sure he's still got a lot left in the tank, and there will be no shortage of teams willing to trade for him, if he becomes available.

Mostly depends where Rihanna is I guess...:cool:

James52411

Administrator
May 22, 2010
Tallahassee, FL
How exactly do you pick a $100m player up 'on the cheap'???

You try to get the Dodgers to pick up some of his salary and attempt trade back a somewhat unfavorable contract in return. He isn't worth 20 million per year, but he is easily worth around 15 million when you look at the contracts that are being handed out these days. The Red Sox outfield is a dumpster fire. Kemp would be an improvement over all of them.

fordman

Feb 22, 2013
Ohio
Trade him to the Reds for Ryan Ludwick , Bernadina, Lutz, Robinson and maybe a pitcher or two.
Sell me your Jay Bruce cards!

gt2590

Super Moderator
Aug 17, 2008
Near Philly
Plus, what do the Dodgers really need anyway? A catcher or maybe 3B? Not gonna get an All-Star caliber one back anyway...

I say hold and sell in the Off-season, IF he doesn't turn it around or cops a 'tude...

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
The Angels have the money and they're near Rihanna.
Plus, Kemp and Josh Hamilton can take turns being injured and playing center field.

Members online

Latest posts