Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Incredible Derek Jeter laundry tag listed.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
[MENTION=5670]linuxabuser[/MENTION] - You think like me... some of these new crazy "nice" cards aren't really that great when thinking about what you could get, etc. It's a nice card though... don't want to take anything away from it but I'd 1000% want a Ruth cut over this card.

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
I'd pay $3K if it was his one night stand's lingerie tag. ;)

$3K for Jeter's jersey tag, not so much.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
Could a whole game worn jersey not be bought for that?

The number of things that can be purchased for the price of any given "rare card" is astounding. There are several times were an auto'd non-rookie card will sell for more than it would cost for a more generic auto'd ball or bat or jersey. Ask most people not into the hobby and even some who are and they'd rather have the ball, bat, or jersey. The people paying big bucks for cards are collectors of cards and that player.

While not always the case, you could almost reasonably expect a guy willing to pay $3 grand on a Jeter card to actually already own a GU item of some sort. But either way, cards just can't be compared to other items. And, I'm not up to date on pricing but I'd expect any of the legit places you can safely buy a real authentic gu jersey of Jeter are going to charge just as much if not more. Hell...Steiner charges what...$400 for a baseball signed by him?

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
Could a whole game worn jersey not be bought for that?

Question we all must ask when thinking about this kind of stuff. Sh!t, I can get en entire Belle game used bat for $100 (I have three) and I've paid more for a baseball card with a quarter size piece of a bat on it... Not to mention 2 or 3x that for the nameplate... It's kind of crazy when you think about it.

---
Buying Albert Belle cards! PM me!

Hawk8

Jul 13, 2013
Louisiana
We are all crazy, I paid more for a button card than I have a whole jersey before that has several buttons on it

SINFULONE

Sep 26, 2008
Question we all must ask when thinking about this kind of stuff. Sh!t, I can get en entire Belle game used bat for $100 (I have three) and I've paid more for a baseball card with a quarter size piece of a bat on it... Not to mention 2 or 3x that for the nameplate... It's kind of crazy when you think about it.

---

There's a big difference paying $300 for a bat nameplate card and $3000 for a laundry tag card.Or at least there is to me.

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
There's a big difference paying $300 for a bat nameplate card and $3000 for a laundry tag card.Or at least there is to me.

Didn't say they were similar. Just said I paid 3x what a full item costs. So with the Jeter tag, I wouldn't be surprised if someone paid more for it than the entire jersey itself.

---

michaelstepper

Jan 15, 2010
southeast Alaska
Not saying this is why people pay the prices they do for cards, but the certification (if you call it that) is on the card, as well as a team logo, name, player name and picture. It's something that appeases most collectors . Besides, storing an entire jersey or bat properly costs money and is much larger than said card

Juan Gris

May 23, 2013
Columbus, OH
Not saying this is why people pay the prices they do for cards, but the certification (if you call it that) is on the card, as well as a team logo, name, player name and picture. It's something that appeases most collectors . Besides, storing an entire jersey or bat properly costs money and is much larger than said card

This is exactly why I don't plan to start collecting whole game used jerseys. Bats on the other hand are much more compact, bat tubes are easily affordable and they take up much less room to display. If I were to buy a game used jersey I'd like to display the thing.

SINFULONE

Sep 26, 2008
This is exactly why I don't plan to start collecting whole game used jerseys. Bats on the other hand are much more compact, bat tubes are easily affordable and they take up much less room to display. If I were to buy a game used jersey I'd like to display the thing.

I would agree with that.For a long time I thought a signed jersey would look so nice on my wall.One day I went to my card shop for some singles and noticed my dealer had a bunch of signed jerseys on his display wall.After talking about them with him for awhile and realizing how much they cost to frame and how much space they take up, I have no desire of ever getting one.I was surprised how much they cost to frame and how heavy they were.I would go with a signed bat too.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
Jerseys are not that expensive to frame. Where it gets expensive is when you want to make it fancy. Now if you're going to do it you might as well make it look nice. But it doesn't have to be any more costly than you want it to be. As for display room, yes they take up space but if you really really collect a player...it's not too much to have something like an auto'd ball, bat, and jersey as well as a photo hanging up of them. Now if you have a whole apartment or house you should certainly have that much room. Where it gets problematic is when you go hog wild and start getting jersey after jersey signed. I've spoken to quite a few guys who do jersey's and even 16x20's. And of course they are all tucked away in a closet. Because they have way too many to display. IMO, if you've got too much too display, you simply have too much.

As for the point made above about the Belle nameplate not being comparable to a Jeter tag price wise...no it's not. Mac says an average Belle bat is $100. His nameplate was what? $300? The Jeter tag is $3,000? Well if I was going to buy a Jeter jersey...this is one of the few places I'd buy it from:
http://www.steinersports.com/search.html?searchTerm=game+used+derek+jeter+jersey

And it's a hell of a lot more than $3,000. Like I said, find me a 100% certified authentic gu jersey of Jeter's from a place we could all agree on as a trustworthy source for less than the cost of that card.

The deal with the card is it's rare. That's what sells the cards now days. Even at the outrageous price of that Jeter gu jersey, there's still more than one available.

Members online

Latest posts