Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Auction Pickups!! How did I do??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gonzaleznut

Aug 9, 2010
Texas
Love of the Game auctions ended last night and I won a couple of items that I really liked. I was wanting to get opinions from the knowledgeable FCB HOFer crew as to how I did on price.

1st item: PSA/DNA Slabbed Frank "Home Run" Baker Cut Auto - Paid $300 w/ BP

2nd item: 1949 Branch Rickey letter to Walter O'Malley (Dodgers - JSA) - Paid $240 w/ BP

Would love to hear any and all opinions. Thanks.

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
Can't speak on prices but the Rickey is amazing!

JEBJJA

Aug 11, 2008
South Jersey- Near Philly
Yeah the Branch Rickey is amazing considering not just baseball history but American history. For $240, that is a great price. As far as the Homerun Baker cut, I like rare HOF autos but not a fan of the small little strips of cut checks with the auto. I'd rather the entire check. Nice pickups and thanks for sharing!

MaineMule

Aug 7, 2008
Maine of course......
Nice additions!!! Pretty good prices on each.

I agree that a cut check is fairly bland given that the full check existed at one time. The Rickey letter is great given that it was sent to another Dodger legend and HOFer.

Congrats on the pick-ups Mike!!

I missed that auction. The Cy Young 3x5 looks to have been a decent price. He is high/next on my list of HOFer pick-ups.

Mighty Bombjack

Aug 7, 2008
The Baker is about right. I paid slightly more for a straight up 3x5 auto (akin to what Scott prefers for his collection). The only cut check I have like that is John McGraw. I don't know about Baker, but McGraw's wife cut up a lot of his checks to send to fans writing for an autograph. I kind of like that part of it, as I love stories attached to items.

And no better stories to be told than with a letter, on team letterhead no less! You got a great price on that Rickey. Very cool piece there, and I have a very similar letter written to O'Malley 3 months later! Ours must have originated from the same trove of letters penned by Rickey. I don't remember exactly what I paid, but it was more than you did, so well done.

Are these new names for your collection, or did you have either of these HOFers on different media?

Mighty Bombjack

Aug 7, 2008
Attached for comparison and interest-think ours were penned by the same person? I need to get out the old Ron K book!

Rickey.jpg

ASTROBURN

Jun 23, 2011
Santa Cruz, CA
Agreed that the cut from the check isnt the nicest looking. Wonder if it might be worth it to crack it and make a custom out of it.

Gonzaleznut

Aug 9, 2010
Texas
I'm going to try and address lots of comments in one response...

Thanks for the compliments. I really like the Rickey letter as I also think cool mediums like that are fantastic. As far as the Baker cut, I just wanted to get one of him that was slabbed.

Yes, they are my first examples of those two guys. It puts me at 184 different HOFers and 726 total.

Here is the Ron K page with Rickey...

There are several things about Rickeys signature that is worth noting and the reason ours might look a little different. Rickey had both a "fast" and a "formal" signature. His could vary greatly depending on the time he took as well as what he was signing. You letter looks to have a little more formal content than mine so it makes sense that yours looks more deliberate. They are also done with two different pens.

Mine comes with a full JSA so I have some confidence in its authenticity.

The custom idea is a good one. I might have to do that at some point.

Thanks again and keep the comments coming.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts