Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

6th Prospect Ceiling Poll - Third Baseman

Which Prospect Has the Higher Ceiling?

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
Since there are quite a few good prospects at the hot corner these days, there are three options for this poll instead of the customary two.

I'm fairly certain Moustakas would have dominated this poll, but who would you choose after him for this position?

Feel free to explain your votes if you choose.

NECpilgrims8

Aug 7, 2008
White Plains, NY
You just made a poll with three 3B from different points on the prospect spectrum.

Dominguez - Glove > Bat

Frazier - Glove <-> Bat

Gamel - Bat >>>> Glove

Not exactly the most effective poll, IMO.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
NECpilgrims8 said:
You just made a poll with three 3B from different points on the prospect spectrum.

Dominguez - Glove > Bat

Frazier - Glove <-> Bat

Gamel - Bat >>>> Glove

This poll is supposed to measure overall ceiling.

NECpilgrims8

Aug 7, 2008
White Plains, NY
Jaypers said:
NECpilgrims8 said:

Dominguez - Glove > Bat

Frazier - Glove <-> Bat

Gamel - Bat >>>> Glove

This poll is supposed to measure overall ceiling.

I get that, but it's too objective to reach that conclusion.

If you were to put Moustakas vs. Dominguez or Brett Wallace vs. Mat Gamel, it would make much more sense.

rico08

Aug 7, 2008
Los Angeles
Gamel's defensive struggles are no secret and who knows how long Prince Fielder will be a Brewer.

Frazier has the highest power ceiling out of the bunch but he's also seen time at other positions.

With his stellar glove, Dominguez is the only guy I see sticking at third and the power numbers will only get better. I'll go with the Marlin.

Brett Keith

Aug 7, 2008
Peoria, IL
I think Dominguez vs Lonnie Chisenhall would be a good matchup, although I know Dominguez would win on here, in a landslide most likely.

Dominguez was 18 last year, Chisenhall was 19.

They seem to be of similar size.

Dominguez has always earned praise for his defense, but had some questions about his bat during his senior year and during his debut. He then put up very good numbers in the SAL League, but played in a very friendly home park, putting up extreme home/road splits. So how much progress he's made with the bat is still up in the air. Also, despite his defensive reputation, some question his quickness and range.

Chisenhall was rated by BA as the #1 incoming recruit I do believe, but got booted of the team at South Carolina early in the season because of some trouble with the law. He then tore it up in the JUCO ranks the following season. He's a great bet to hit, with more of a quick, smooth line drive stroke, than a power stroke, and he doesn't K much at all, but still draws BB's. He was a SS coming up and played there last year, surprising the Indians with how well he did, showing a good arm, but will likely be moved to 3B because of a lack of outstanding tools for the position. So he could become an above average or better defender at 3B.

So do you take the already plus defender, with questions about his bat/swing, but with probably more HR potential, or do you take the possible plus defender, who has a great swing, but will probably be more of a 2B's hitter with average power, good AVG and low K numbers?

Members online

Latest posts