Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

So would you consider THIS pack searching?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
Since there's so much talk here on pack searching, would you consider the following fantasy scenario pack searching?

For decades, topps used patterns while packaging their cards into packs.

So for instance, back in 1987 if you got a Ken Landreux card, the next one was nearly always a Bo Jackson rc.

If topps made the old time clear rack packs today and if base rc's still held nice values, would you consider it pack searching if someone knew patterns for the best cards and could cherry pick the packs without opening them?

BTW, at least in bowman, topps STILL packages cards using patterns.

michaelstepper

Jan 15, 2010
southeast Alaska
It's similar but different. For instance UD early on always had the similar packs like you said. And the "hit" was always in the left back row 2nd pack from the bottom. Of course there were always exceptions but for the most part always the same. Guy in town who sold packs also knew this and pulled them all out and priced them individually.

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
I mentioned this in one of the other pack searching threads.
In the '80s, hobby mags like Baseball Hobby News and Baseball Cards Magazine used to print articles listing some of the patterns.
It was pretty common knowledge, especially in the late '80s, how to find the big stars and rookies by "counting cards."

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Back in the day, the shops in my area started to shuffle packs after they opened new boxes. I think that was a great idea to stop any sort of box searching due to known patterns. if the pack is see-through, then i can't really say it is searching. The card makers need to find a way to make it impossible to cheat the system, but they don't care about that particular problem, so it would fall on the sellers next. not sure any of them care enough either.

sigma_chi

Apr 14, 2010
NE Arkansas/SEMO
I used to buy the 2007-08 Topps Basketball Rack Packs when they would have a certain player showing on top because that always meant that a Kevin Durant was the next card. I can't remember if that player was Morris Almond or Steven Wright.

James52411

Administrator
May 22, 2010
Tallahassee, FL
Yes. If you use a means to know the contents of a pack, it is a form of searching.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Freedom Card Board mobile app

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
1992-92 Stadium Club basketball with the Beam Team inserts, you could see the bright white cardboard through the edge of the pack. Shops started covering them with magic marker.

Juan Gris

May 23, 2013
Columbus, OH
Unless I'm mistaken, the "pack searching" phrase was coined in the late 90's and early 00's for people being able to feel thicker game used cards in packs, not eyeballing cards through clear packaging way back in the 80's. Anyone agree or disagree?

So you're telling me that you consider it pack searching without even touching the pack? That's crazy talk

I have to agree. I put the blame on the card manufacturers. If you have a bunch of rack packs on display in front of you and have heard the "tricks" to knowing what cards lie within certain packs, why would you want to buy a pack not containing the good card?

James52411

Administrator
May 22, 2010
Tallahassee, FL
Regardless of whether it is "pack searching" or "cherry picking" the result is the same even if the method is slightly different. I personally would give a pass to a person who picks a rack pack because a favorite player is on the front of it, since the manufacturer has chosen to reveal that card to the consumer.

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
After that Fontenot card came a Mcgwire or Clark if I remember the pattern correctly.

Sent from my HTCONE using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
I'll look through my old '80s issues of Baseball Hobby News, SCD and Baseball Cards Magazine when I get a chance and see if I can find the articles that explain how to "break the code" of the card printing sequences in Topps packs.
I'll take a picture when I find them.

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
I'll look through my old '80s issues of Baseball Hobby News, SCD and Baseball Cards Magazine when I get a chance and see if I can find the articles that explain how to "break the code" of the card printing sequences in Topps packs.

Definitely interested!

Sent from my HTCONE using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Tzvih123

Feb 21, 2014
Long Island,NY

lol baseball magazines endorsing "pack searching".

Members online