Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Times and places where baseball and general history collide

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
After years of collecting I finally seem to have settled on a PC. The items I find most compelling are those at the nexus between baseball and general history. I'm also focused on items that are fairly unique. A couple of examples are a baseball from WWII signed by a team in the Pacific including Stan Musial and others (from Musial's private collection) and a baseball signed by the 1931 All-Star team that went to Japan. (images below).

I've been trying to come up with other events/people/collectibles to target to expand the collection and would love to tap into the wealth of baseball knowledge on the boards here. I know I want something tied to the ***** Leagues, but have not figured out the item that I think would have the historic and cultural significance. Beyond that I'm not even sure where to look next. I'm not really interested in movie related items, so that's a road I've chosen not to go down.

So I'd love to hear, where are some times when baseball has stepped beyond its natural boundaries and impacted (or been impacted by general history?)

1931 US trip to Japan:
14108529577_fef9b89bba_n.jpg
14294530354_31f757797f_n.jpg

WWII team signed baseball:
11284387513_4718922600_q.jpg

Last edited:

MaineMule

Aug 7, 2008
Maine of course......
Games following 9/11, anything related to Jackie's integration of MLB, Babe Ruth was "the man" on and off the field, all the Presidents that have thrown out first pitches (signed baseballs).......

Just some things that popped into my head........

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
Games following 9/11, anything related to Jackie's integration of MLB, Babe Ruth was "the man" on and off the field, all the Presidents that have thrown out first pitches (signed baseballs)....... Just some things that popped into my head........
Some really interesting ideas there. I've been trying to figure out what sort of Jackie item I'd like to pick up. President signed balls are also interesting.
Ohio Senator and first-to-orbit astronaut John Glenn was Ted Williams' wingman during WWII.
I definitely want to find a Williams item related to his military career and the fact Glenn was his wingman is a piece of trivia I had never known. I wonder if there are items signed by both...

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
Presidential first pitches

***** League all-stars vs. MLB barnstormers, esp. Paige/Feller matchups

Spaldings world tour of 1888-1889

Dodgers and Giants move to Los Angeles

War bonds games (when teams raised money for WWII efforts)

All-American Girls Professional Baseball League (women's rights and war effort)

MLB all-star series in Japan - began in 1908

Alexander Cartwright spreads baseball from east coast to west coast and Hawaii

Latest posts