Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

GU Bat Purchase help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
Let's just say this...you got an autographed game used bat of one of the core four Yankee players. A popular player with a lot of fans. That played for arguably the biggest market team on earth(sans any soccer clubs in Europe). And you paid a hundred and some change. The price alone would have scared me away. I'm not big into full gu stuff but I know it's expensive. I'd question anything that wasn't. Not that paying a lot means it's real. But I'd also think Posada's stuff goes for more.

gt2590

Super Moderator
Aug 17, 2008
Near Philly
With that company involved and the too-good price, I'd be skeptical.

Any chance there's a MLB Hologram somewhere else on it? That would really help...

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
As a reference point, I paid $100 there about for each of my three Belle gamers.

---
Buying Albert Belle cards! PM me!

Matsuicollector

Aug 7, 2008
Yeaaa... That authentication is no good (most likely). I'd start the return process unless you feel like subbing it to JSA.

What would a JSA sub do? Can they authenticate bats as game used? I'm pretty sure the autograph is legit. It's whether or not the bat was game used.

As far as the price, it was via auction and the price wasn't a red flag for me because you never know how auctions go and it was a lower-feedback seller. There's also no other MLB hologram on it.

Based on those articles though, I think I'm gonna have to send it back. :( Live and learn I guess.

A_Pharis

What would a JSA sub do? Can they authenticate bats as game used? I'm pretty sure the autograph is legit. It's whether or not the bat was game used.

As far as the price, it was via auction and the price wasn't a red flag for me because you never know how auctions go and it was a lower-feedback seller. There's also no other MLB hologram on it.

Based on those articles though, I think I'm gonna have to send it back. :( Live and learn I guess.

I was speaking just of the autograph if it was still a determining factor in you keeping it.

Last edited:

swish54_99

Dec 12, 2012
The lack of ball marks and pine tar on it makes me skeptical. The barrel is too clean. I've got a couple gu bats and there's a ton of ball marks, scuffs, and pine tar on them. You can hardly pick them up by the handle and not get sticky from the pine tar. I would also think there should be something on the knob with the size of bat or his initials or number or something.

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
To the OP - Perception is reality. Sorry to say. Who really knows?!

I know I'm being facetious to some degree but seriously, I have three Belle gamers and they hang in my home and not one person has done anything but jaw drop at them and use them as a great convo starter. We're talking about Posada here, not Ruth, Jeter or Mantle gamer here lol

---

Juan Gris

May 23, 2013
Columbus, OH
OP: Why did you bid on this bat if you were not overly familiar with the game used market? I found the eBay listing for your bat and it doesn't seem like the seller hid anything from you. You'll have to pay for your return shipping if the 14-day return period has not already passed. It really pays to do your due diligence when making a game used purchase or else you open yourself up to getting a dud or, down the line when you want to move the GU item, trying to sell bad merchandise.

Matsuicollector

Aug 7, 2008
OP: Why did you bid on this bat if you were not overly familiar with the game used market? I found the eBay listing for your bat and it doesn't seem like the seller hid anything from you. You'll have to pay for your return shipping if the 14-day return period has not already passed. It really pays to do your due diligence when making a game used purchase or else you open yourself up to getting a dud or, down the line when you want to move the GU item, trying to sell bad merchandise.

Well when I first saw the auction, I was basically focused on the autograph. The autograph looked legit to me, so why shouldn't the bat be legit as well? It looked like a game model bat, and had what I thought was pine tar residue that was attempted to be removed. And while in hindsight it seems obvious that people would fake GU bats, it was something that never crossed my mind at the time. When someone is new to collecting cards I'm sure they don't consider whether or not the patch on a topps card with "authentic game used memorabilia" stamped next to it may be fake or not.

KLARNOLD- I mentioned that he may not have made contact in the original post. That alone would not have swayed my thoughts on the authenticity of the bat. It's the combination of things that first got me concerned.

Juan Gris

May 23, 2013
Columbus, OH
Well when I first saw the auction, I was basically focused on the autograph. The autograph looked legit to me, so why shouldn't the bat be legit as well? It looked like a game model bat, and had what I thought was pine tar residue that was attempted to be removed. And while in hindsight it seems obvious that people would fake GU bats, it was something that never crossed my mind at the time. When someone is new to collecting cards I'm sure they don't consider whether or not the patch on a topps card with "authentic game used memorabilia" stamped next to it may be fake or not.

If the autograph is legit then you might have paid fair market value for the bat, whether it be game used or not (I don't collect Posada and can't say for sure but if the use was intentionally faked then it is surely worth less). You asked for opinions on the bat and your eBay transaction and, honestly, I feel bad for the seller if they take a loss on the transaction due to your lack of research. Many of us have had experiences with game used items where we were perhaps a bit hasty and didn't think a purchase through (I know I have). Whatever you decide to do, it should be a good learning experience.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
As a reference point, I paid $100 there about for each of my three Belle gamers.

---

At auction? From a reputable memorabilia dealer? I'd pay more than that easily for a Belle gamer. I've paid more than that for scrubby players. But I know mine are real. Not saying yours aren't. I'm sure you know what you're doing. But for full gu, I only buy from a trusted source and it usually costs me. But I want to know it's as real as possible. That I did everything in my power.

And I'd also think Posada is worth more simply due to being a Yankee.

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
At auction? From a reputable memorabilia dealer? I'd pay more than that easily for a Belle gamer. I've paid more than that for scrubby players. But I know mine are real. Not saying yours aren't. I'm sure you know what you're doing. But for full gu, I only buy from a trusted source and it usually costs me. But I want to know it's as real as possible. That I did everything in my power.

And I'd also think Posada is worth more simply due to being a Yankee.
Yea and I guess when I say $100, I mean between $100 and $125 I guess with shipping, tax, etc. all-in. One was purchased at the stadium, so I'm 100% sure that one is real. The other two I would consider purchased at reputable places. I have a pretty good idea on his bats and which he used, size, etc. and I'm comfortable with them. Again, who the hell knows unless he let the bat go from his hands during the game and you caught it. I mean I have three gamers and they're real as far as I know and they're great pieces and conversation starters. My point is it is what it is. I mean unless we're talking about a Ruth bat or someone of substance, not really something I would get all worked up over.

Members online