Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

9-Pocket Pages (Ultra Pro) - Got cheaper in last 20 years?!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
It's been a LONG time since I purchased any 9-pocket pages for baseball cards but decided to do so this past weekend to "upgrade" some of the pages that look a little warn from probably when I put them in my binders back in the '90's. It wasn't long before I quickly noticed the same brand 9-pocket pages (Ultra Pro) were noticeably more flimsy and thin than the pages I was replacing from back in the day. I mean damn, they were extremely flimsy and almost couldn't support itself when 9 cards were put into them.

Anyways, has anyone else noticed this? Does anyone have a brand they'd recommend which are higher quality? I thought Ultra Pro was a top of the line brand but if not, someone call me out. Thoughts are welcome :)

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
Did you recently buy them in a blue or black box?

The blue box is lesser quality than black.

Sent from my HTCONE using Freedom Card Board mobile app

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
Did you recently buy them in a blue or black box?

The blue box is lesser quality than black.

I'll have to go look but it's probably the blue box then... I mean these pages were clear and clean but they were damn cheap feeling and had no strength to them at all.

gt2590

Super Moderator
Aug 17, 2008
Near Philly
IDK about the different color boxes, but I haven't noticed any difference in the pages I get. Black box BTW, if that helps...

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
Has anyone compared the new pages you can buy today to the ones you've had since the mid-90s? It's night and day. There are some 9-pocket pages from the 90s that I still have which are like 3x as thick it seems like or at least 3x as strong. I guess it's like anything else, they're cutting costs and finding wants to save money... using less plastic I'm sure.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
No, ultra pro really does make some pages mega crappy. The ones I get at the card shop are great. But there really is a good kind and a bad kind. I purchased a slew of the bad ones at once, got them home, and was pissed. I trashed them and went to the shop later that week.

fordman

Feb 22, 2013
Ohio
BCW had the market for 9 pocket pages through the mid to late 90's. They're still around but what happened was, Ultra-Pro started making 9 pocket pages to go with their memorabilia holders. BCW almost fell off the map do to Ultra-Pro making all of their stuff in china, BCW was made in Anderson, Indiana. BCW used ****** plastics for their products while Ultra-Pro used recycled & re-grind in theirs (considerably cheaper).

To current date: Ultra-Pro does have their platinum line that uses ****** plastic and their mid grade uses the recycled - re-grind.
BCW is still in business but only in hobby shops shows and independent dist. Ultra-Pro has made their way into walmart, target and other major retailers, giving them more of a customer base. BCW however has evolved more into the gaming card top loaders and they do quite well in that business.

I once was sold a case of 9 pocket pages that were perforated into making single card holders in 1988. I couldnt sell them because the quality of the plastic was bad. I dumped them into a dumpster at a card show in Louisville, KY.

Fordman

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
Anyone remember SIDE loading nine pocket pages?

In the 80s, nearly all pages were side loading instead of top loading.

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
Whoaaaaaaaaaaaaa taking it back now

---
Buying Albert Belle cards! PM me!

Some years back I got a couple of side loading "TOP LOADERS"!

Never knew those things existed.

timfsu2k

Jul 8, 2009
Kentucky
I once was sold a case of 9 pocket pages that were perforated into making single card holders in 1988. I couldnt sell them because the quality of the plastic was bad. I dumped them into a dumpster at a card show in Louisville, KY.

Fordman

Ah, so the rumors of the infamous 9 pocket sheet dump is true! That legend is second only to the "Atari dumping copies of E.T." rumor!

Seriously though, I remember getting those small albums that held 90 cards and halfway through the sheets were back loaders. Hated those!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BenG76

May 15, 2013
Fancy Gap, VA
I always use Ultra Pro Platinum for my pages. Once I started using them I kept doing so for uniformity I guess. I don't have any complaints about them for the 3 or so years I have been back to collecting. I always buy them on EBay for the most part.

Will Style 13

Feb 9, 2012
York, PA
Yeah I've learned my lesson I only buy black box anymore. I had some pages that overtime chipped at the top and some would rip easily when putting cards in them. I'm certainly not rough with my pages either.

Latest posts