Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Community Project: help validate the 1985 MSA Subway Discs checklist

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DaClyde

Jan 17, 2010
Huntsville, AL
Image_07128.jpg
Image_07129.jpg

1985 saw the release of two nearly identical sets of MSA discs (which unfortunately looked almost exactly like most of the previous years MSA discs sets). There was the Thom McAn/JOX set, issued as a promotion for Thom McAn's JOX tennis shoes, and the completely anonymous Subway set, that looked exactly the same, but was blank on the back. Beckett just looks to have done a wholesale copy of the Thom McAn checklist for their Subway checklist, only for some reason removing George Brett. The Standard Catalog only lists the Subway set as having 36 discs, but includes Dennis Leonard where Beckett does not. Clearly one, or both, of these catalogs is incorrect.

I would like to solicit the help of everyone in pinning down exactly what cards actually comprise the Subway set, primarily because I simply don't believe the Winfield disc exists in the Subway set, but would love some independent confirmation. eBay isn't terribly helpful here as the same 7 or 8 discs just get listed over and over. Judging from the PSA registry, similar to the JOX set, some of these also exist in multiple colors.

Combining the checklists between the Standard Catalog and Beckett, the 1985 MSA Subway Disc set looks like this, 48 discs, with the sources for each disc listed until existence is confirmed. For any thing can be confirmed, I'll include the color of the disc for the player.

Benny Ayala - Beckett
Buddy Bell - yellow
Juan Beniquez - Beckett
Tony Bernazard - Beckett
Mike Boddicker - yellow
George Brett - SCD
Bill Buckner - Beckett/SCD
Rod Carew - yellow (PSA graded)
Steve Carlton - blue (PSA graded)
Cesar Cedeno - orange
Dave Concepcion - Beckett/SCD
Cecil Cooper - Beckett/SCD
Al Cowens - Beckett/SCD
Jose Cruz - Beckett
Ivan DeJesus - Beckett
Luis DeLeon - Beckett
Rich Gossage - Beckett/SCD
Pedro Guerrero - Beckett/SCD
Ron Guidry - Beckett/SCD
Tony Gwynn - green
Mike Hargrove - Beckett/SCD
Keith Hernandez - Beckett
Bob Horner - Beckett/SCD (yellow on eBay)
Kent Hrbek - Beckett/SCD
Rick Langford - Beckett/SCD
Dennis Leonard - SCD
Jeff Leonard - blue
Willie McGee - green
Jack Morris - orange
Jesse Orosco - Beckett
Junior Ortiz - Beckett
Terry Puhl - Beckett (orange on eBay)
Dan Quisenberry - green
Johnny Ray - Beckett/SCD
Cal Ripken Jr. - blue/yellow (PSA graded)
Ed Romero - Beckett
Ryne Sandberg - pink
Mike Schmidt - pink (PSA graded)
Tom Seaver - green
Rick Sutcliffe - Beckett/SCD
Bruce Sutter - green
Alan Trammell - (PSA graded)
Fernando Valenzuela - Beckett/SCD
Ozzie Virgil - Beckett
Greg Walker - Beckett/SCD
Willie Wilson - Beckett/SCD
Dave Winfield - Beckett/SCD
Geoff Zahn - Beckett/SCD

Last edited:

thelesquad

Dec 6, 2008
I have been offered big bucks for this but have turned it down. This is the only copy I have seen.

1985_subway_disc_nno.png

Members online

Latest posts