Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

ESPN Writer Predicts Female Will Someday Pitch In MLB

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SINFULONE

Sep 26, 2008
In light some of some 17 year old female pitcher throwing knuckleballs at Rays batting practice, this ESPN writer says someday a female will pitch in MLB.She was taught to throw knuckleball from Niekro, and was good enough to make varsity baseball team in high school while not losing a game in years.Do you think someday this could happen?Would you be in favor of this?Female player made a D-III college football team this year, and society seems more willing more open minded these days something like this could happen in time.Discuss thoughts and opinions.

http://espn.go.com/espnw/news-comme.../jim-caple-says-woman-pitch-mlb-someday-espnw

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
We have not seen much movement in that direction in basketball where woman are much more established (with the WNBA). One might argue that the lack of contact in baseball makes it more conducive to mixing genders I guess... I don't expect it any time soon, although I don't know that I'd say "never." There were a number of woman who played in the ***** Leagues including Toni Stone whose autograph I have on a cap actually.

SINFULONE

Sep 26, 2008
We have not seen much movement in that direction in basketball where woman are much more established (with the WNBA). One might argue that the lack of contact in baseball makes it more conducive to mixing genders I guess... I don't expect it any time soon, although I don't know that I'd say "never." There were a number of woman who played in the ***** Leagues including Toni Stone whose autograph I have on a cap actually.

That was my thinking, MLB isn't much of a physical sport, unlike basketball, so a female pitcher isn't beyond the realm of possibility.Even if you disagree with the writer, the article was interesting.Did not know a female player played at a college and pitched in Independant League back in '90s.How well did Stone fare in Negor League?

Therion

Nov 19, 2008
Looooooosiana!
I don't see why it couldn't happen. If we would move away from softball for girls at the high school level, I would see this being a lot more plausible.

SINFULONE

Sep 26, 2008
I don't see why it couldn't happen. If we would move away from softball for girls at the high school level, I would see this being a lot more plausible.

That is an interesting point.Who do girls use a ball twice the size of a baseball at the lower levels?At least that would get them accustomed to using a baseball as they progress in their career.In high school don't guys and girls use the same size basketball?Why is baseball different?

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008
Did not know a female player played at a college and pitched in Independant League back in '90s.How well did Stone fare in Negor League?

Ila Borders. I have a game used jersey from her, she played in Madison for a bit towards the end of her baseball career

SINFULONE

Sep 26, 2008
Ila Borders. I have a game used jersey from her, she played in Madison for a bit towards the end of her baseball career

Yeah, that's her.I read about her on Wikipedia.How/where did you get a game used jersey from?That is neat.

bongo870

Sep 30, 2009
Marlton NJ
I always wondered why women cant play ball. Im sure there are alot of women out there that can play better then most playing in baseball now...

bongo870

Sep 30, 2009
Marlton NJ

LOL
http://youtu.be/Xw-8qqWtsLw

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008
Yeah, that's her.I read about her on Wikipedia.How/where did you get a game used jersey from?That is neat.

It was some sort of fan appreciation night or charity night of some kind, they had a silent auction for the player's jerseys. My bid tied with another guy so the tie breaker was drawing cards, highest wins. Pulled an Ace :)

SINFULONE

Sep 26, 2008
It was some sort of fan appreciation night or charity night of some kind, they had a silent auction for the player's jerseys. My bid tied with another guy so the tie breaker was drawing cards, highest wins. Pulled an Ace :)

Was this at a minor league game?

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you the super duper "sp" card in 2014 bowman chrome!

In actuality, sure why not?

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
That was my thinking, MLB isn't much of a physical sport, unlike basketball, so a female pitcher isn't beyond the realm of possibility.Even if you disagree with the writer, the article was interesting.Did not know a female player played at a college and pitched in Independant League back in '90s.How well did Stone fare in Negor League?

She didn't play all that much apparently...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toni_Stone

selah150pslm

Aug 7, 2008
Tucson, AZ
That is an interesting point.Who do girls use a ball twice the size of a baseball at the lower levels?At least that would get them accustomed to using a baseball as they progress in their career.In high school don't guys and girls use the same size basketball?Why is baseball different?

Boys and Girls use different sized balls in high school, college, and the pros (each sex uses the same, appropriately sized ball throughout all 3 levels). I think there's a difference of about an inch in circumference. Something that's noticeable to an experienced player if you held the opposite ball.

SINFULONE

Sep 26, 2008
Boys and Girls use different sized balls in high school, college, and the pros (each sex uses the same, appropriately sized ball throughout all 3 levels). I think there's a difference of about an inch in circumference. Something that's noticeable to an experienced player if you held the opposite ball.

OK, did not know that.

Lars

Aug 25, 2008
When MLB teams want big guys who can throw 95 - is there a woman tall and big enough to throw 95 MPH consistently to make her living as professional baseball player?

Members online

Latest posts