Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Is it worth submitting a card to PSA when there is nothing in the pop?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rudzud

Aug 7, 2008
Cherry Valley
Going through all my stuff came across an '85 O Pee Chee Terry Francona that looks like PSA 9 or so (simple guess). Not in the pop report...is it worth paying to get it graded?

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
People building registry sets are often willing to go really high for cards with zero population, or a newly graded top-grade card, to fill in their sets. Not everyone has access to or is willing to submit card themselves, they'd rather just buy graded singles. So filling in a hole like that could be very much worth your while.

For reference, the first 1975 Topps Will McEnaney PSA 8 sold for $255. That card was the last one in the whole set that hadn't yet had a copy graded an 8 (or better), plus he was a Red, and the 75 Topps set is probably the most popular set on the registry (it had more registrants than any other for a long while, don't know about now), so that led to a fairly incredible price. I don't know what the market is for 1985 OPCs, but if it's a solid 9, and you're already submitting other cards, might as well ship that one, too.

Rudzud

Aug 7, 2008
Cherry Valley
People building registry sets are often willing to go really high for cards with zero population, or a newly graded top-grade card, to fill in their sets. Not everyone has access to or is willing to submit card themselves, they'd rather just buy graded singles. So filling in a hole like that could be very much worth your while.

For reference, the first 1975 Topps Will McEnaney PSA 8 sold for $255. That card was the last one in the whole set that hadn't yet had a copy graded an 8 (or better), plus he was a Red, and the 75 Topps set is probably the most popular set on the registry (it had more registrants than any other for a long while, don't know about now), so that led to a fairly incredible price. I don't know what the market is for 1985 OPCs, but if it's a solid 9, and you're already submitting other cards, might as well ship that one, too.

I wouldn't be...do people here do group PSA submissions?

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
I don't think so, at least not official group subs. It was tried once, as I recall, but it just never happened. Maybe people do individually. You could also go on the PSA Boards and get in on someone's sub. The Registry Set board is full of extremely knowledgeable collectors, too.

Members online

No members online now.