Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Top 3 collected players in the hobby - current & retired

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
As the title states, who do you think are the top 3 most collected players in the hobby? Current and retired.

My list:

Jeter, Trout, Posey
Griffey, Ripken, Ryan

A lot depends on your definition of collected. Players like Trout and Posey have solid fan bases but have not been around long enough to build the following of guys like Jeter, Pujols or even A-Rod. Ichiro has a huge following in Japan. It is possible that Trout and Posey collectors are more "rabid" at the moment though.

All-time, I think it makes sense to break it up based on era. Ruth is still unbelievably popular as is Mantle. Over the last 30-40 years Ryan and Griffey are the two that come to mind (as you mention.) I don't know that Ripken has quite the following of the others...

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Current - Don't know, don't care
Retired - Mantle, Ryan, Ripken are a good 3 to go with, but many others can be substituted (Koufax, Griffey, Mays, Williams, Ruth, Robinson to name a few)

Jun 27, 2013
Seattle, WA
I definitely considered Mantle and Ruth, but opted for the more recent Griffey/Ryan/Ripken as I perceive a lot of younger collectors don't actively collect players such as Ruth and Mantle due to the expense.
Of course with vintage collectors, Mantle and Ruth are king.
I agree that Ichiro definitely merits consideration based on his Japan following.

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Current: Jeter, Pujols, Ichiro
Recent: Griffey, Ripken, Ryan
Vintage: Mantle, Mays, Williams
Pre-War: Ruth, Gehrig, Cobb

Last edited:

Members online

Latest posts