Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

It's Belle auctions like this which make me go "WTF?!"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
I think I have a pretty good idea of the market for Albert Belle cards and at this point think I'm one of few even true Albert Belle collectors still out there. As some of you know, I bought out at least two of the top guys over the last 12-18 months.

Anyways, from time to time I see an Albert Belle auction end and sell which just has me scratching my head and going WTF?! Some of them usually end up back on eBay which to me means it was either a trick or the buyer trying to fish out a bid or something.

Well, this auction I saw and I am just in shock and have NO idea what the hell is going on here other than a crazy set collector, which is probably the case? For the record, I had only seen one redemption card show up of these and this is the first actual redeemed version I've ever seen, so maybe a set collector was like "this is my only chance to get the card for the set"

Either way, it's a Albert "Joey" Belle 2012 Topps Archives Originals Auto (buy back) serial numbered 5/5 which sold with only 1 bid at the minimum $199 plus $3 s/h. I am in amazement with this haha

Auction: http://www.ebay.com/itm/2012-Topps-...D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Pictures:

Front.jpgBack.jpg

mrdallas

Mar 20, 2013
Roseville CA
Maybe it was a set collector?? Seems pretty high but you never know... When I am collecting rare sets I have a tendency to OVERPAY too ;-) And Joey/Albert Belle was a good player..... Not the best attitude but he could definitley hit.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
It had to be a set collector. Trust me, they will overpay. Especially with a whole set of hard to find cards to go after.

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
It had to be a set collector. Trust me, they will overpay. Especially with a whole set of hard to find cards to go after.
I mean overpay is an understatement. Generally a /5 Belle on card auto would be for less than $50 and this is a terrible looking card. That all said, whoever starting the auction at $199 was onto something I guess... I didn't even watch the auction it was so high but just saw that someone actually did bid on it.

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
It's a set collector. Now, be prepared for the owners of the other copies to refuse to take any less.
::facepalm::::facepalm::::facepalm::::facepalm::::facepalm::::facepalm::::facepalm::::facepalm::::facepalm::::facepalm::::facepalm::::facepalm::::facepalm::::facepalm::

They can prepare to never sell them unless more set collectors come out of the woodwork. This is honestly a sub $50 card at best. I'd actually be willing to bet this card shows back up on eBay eventually by a different eBay ID. I'm telling you something doesn't add up with this.

jbrown

Nov 28, 2009
KY
Topps set collectors are the craziest. For example Heritage black refractors and base SSP, Topps black borders and base SSP, and all of the Ginter rare stuff. I remember 2004 Bowman Heritage mahogany singles selling for a small fortune when it originally released. It's not about the player 100% of the time.

fordman

Feb 22, 2013
Ohio
Im surprised Albert Belle signed anything that had 'Joey' printed on it. [MENTION=3754]MansGame[/MENTION] did he relax his stance on the Joey Belle name?

Fordman

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
Im surprised Albert Belle signed anything that had 'Joey' printed on it. [MENTION=3754]MansGame[/MENTION] did he relax his stance on the Joey Belle name?

Fordman

This is really funny because I was so freaking shocked at this auction that I didn't even realize it was a Joey Belle card because you're right, he doesn't sign those. Maybe he is desperate for $ or something. Crazy!

---
Buying Albert Belle cards! PM me!

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008
Correct me if I'm wrong, but is this his base Topps rookie card? If so, and he generally doesn't sign "Joey" items, it could be a collector of signed rookie cards (plenty of those big spenders as well) seeing this as one of their only chances. Or are those relatively easy to come by?

Last edited:

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
Correct me if I'm wrong, but is this his base Topps rookie card? If so, and he generally doesn't sign "Joey" items, it could be a collector of signed rookie cards (plenty of those big spenders as well) seeing this as one of their only chances. Or are those relatively easy to come by?

It's not his RC but I think it's his first Topps card if that's what you mean.

---
Buying Albert Belle cards! PM me!

Juan Gris

May 23, 2013
Columbus, OH
He was in 89 Score rookie traded and Fleer Update I believe.
Someone may be in love with Topps first appearance cards. Either way [MENTION=3754]MansGame[/MENTION], I really do think it is a cool looking card and I would pay more than $50 for it. That is if I collected Albert Belle.

EricTownsend88

Jun 13, 2014
Mansgame - I wanted to introduce myself to you. I am a big Albert Belle collector. I don't know how "big time" I am and I'm sure your collection blows mine out of the water but I'm trying to build it up. I currently have the following Belle items...

- about 15-20,000 singles
- a book of "high dollar" Belle cards (for Albert $10+ qualify as high dollar. My last addition was a 98 Purple Crusade.)
- 73 game used/autographed cards
- game used pants (the entire pants) from game 1 of the 1995 world series
- 14 autographed baseballs, 2 autographed helmets, 1 autographed jersey
- numerous oddball items (albert belle candy bar, beanie babie, magazine covers, ect.)

I can upload some pics if you'd like to see some of what I have. And perhaps my most memorable Albert Belle item is the fact that he is the main reason why I got this tattoo back in 2005...

wahoo.jpg

Therion

Nov 19, 2008
Looooooosiana!
I think the gauntlet was just thrown!

I never assume I'm the only Darryl Kile collectors out there. I have a plurality of his stuff, but people still bid on some pretty surprising things for him.

Members online

Latest posts