Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Done Deal: Samardzija/Hammel to the A's for Addison Russell/Billy McKinney/Dan Straily

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
WOW. WOW. WOW.

Ken Rosenthal ‏@Ken_Rosenthal
DEAL IS DONE: #Cubs send Samardzija and Hammel to #Athletics for Addison Russell, per sources. May be other players and team(s) involved.

Last edited:

gt2590

Super Moderator
Aug 17, 2008
Near Philly
Wow, that is big.

Giving up their best prospect in quite a while is Too high a price for Oakland IMO, and the deal doesn't even fill their biggest need.

A's must think some of their Starters can be Relievers...

Last edited:

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
Billy McKinney and Dan Straily also headed to the Cubs, per Keith Law.

rum151man

Mar 9, 2010
Nor Cal
Not sure how I feel about this trade???? Was looking forward to Russell, question is how long can we keep Smardzia

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
I'm wondering if this is a prelude to Theo trading for Price. He's obviously got the goods to get it done (i.e. Castro and an overabundance of infield prospects).

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
And it ain't over yet.

Jeff Passan ‏@JeffPassan
Final housekeeping in A's-Cubs trade: There is indeed a PTBNL going along with Russell, McKinney and Straily for Samardzija and Hammel.

scotty216brs

Apr 15, 2012
MA
Wow huge deal for Oakland....that definitely bolsters their already great rotation. Hope this trade can pay dividends in October for them.

cubfanbudman

Apr 16, 2012
Love this trade! [MENTION=1770]Jaypers[/MENTION] any idea on the PTBNL? I heard it could possibly be Raul Alcantara.

Also a possibility now that the Cubs trade one of their SS for an elite pitching prospect like Syndergaard or to TB for Price?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Jaypers

Aug 7, 2008
IL
Love this trade! [MENTION=1770]Jaypers[/MENTION] any idea on the PTBNL? I heard it could possibly be Raul Alcantara.

Also a possibility now that the Cubs trade one of their SS for an elite pitching prospect like Syndergaard or to TB for Price?

Alcantara is considered their best arm, so I seriously doubt the PTBNL will be anyone that significant. Expect it to be a lower-tier guy.

RandomH

Wow. As a Cubs fan I am beyond pumped for the next couple of years. What worries me is now we have 3 SS players. I hope we can ditch one of them for a solid pitcher. If not I hope that all three can play together on one field. This is as most excited I have been as a Cubs fan in the past couple of years. There is light at the end of the tunnel. I would be surprised if we are NOT a playoff team in 2016.

jcmint

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
Getting 2 quality MLB pitchers for an oft injured good prospect and 2 scrubs. Oak killed it. Oak is the team to beat now.

cubfanbudman

Apr 16, 2012
Getting 2 quality MLB pitchers for an oft injured good prospect and 2 scrubs. Oak killed it. Oak is the team to beat now.

Curious why you think McKinney and Straily are "scrubs"? Isn't McKinney the A's #2 prospect and all of 19 and Straily is 25 and once one of their top pitching prospects? I believe under Bosio that Straily could have a similar turnaround to what Arrieta imhas done

Members online

Latest posts