Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Yankees going nuts on IFA

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

aarne13

Oct 15, 2008
The Permian Basin
The spending spree will likely have consequences sooner than later. Might speed up the creation of an International player draft. So far the Yanks have signed at least 8 of the Top 30 on BA's prospect list. The allotted budget was 2.19MM. The Yankees have signed 27 players for $15MM+. Penalties push the total cost to $27MM+(and the spending spree is not done yet). It's just insane.

hive17

Aug 7, 2008
At least Milwaukee was able to get Lara, but they'll likely incur a penalty. I worry about an international draft, but I don't see a better way.

selah150pslm

Aug 7, 2008
Tucson, AZ
At least Milwaukee was able to get Lara, but they'll likely incur a penalty. I worry about an international draft, but I don't see a better way.

What's wrong with an international draft? Haven't really looked into it so I don't have an opinion on it.

hive17

Aug 7, 2008
What's wrong with an international draft? Haven't really looked into it so I don't have an opinion on it.

Drafts allow mistakes to be more punitive for poorer teams. Since the smaller market teams can't paper over their draft mistakes with high-dollar free agents, the draft is their only chance to improve. An international draft would limit how much talent could be scouted and signed. It seems obvious at first, since poor is poor, but if Milwaukee can spend "big" (as far as Int. FAs are concerned), it's still MUCH cheaper than the biggest free-agent contracts. Milwaukee could get 4-5 Top-10 international free agents for the same price as Matt Garza (theoretically). If a draft is in place, it would limit what they could do. International free agents are consequence-free if they fail.

It's kind of a weak argument when I type it out; I guess I'm just leery of another draft system, since MLB has so altered the current one to remove any advantages for the poorer teams.

D-Lite

Nov 10, 2010
SF Peninsula
People can complain all they want about it. Back in 2011 the Rangers spent $15 Million on IFA and it was penalty free then. And the Rangers and Cubs spent over $8 Million each last year. Yanks had dabbled in the IFA market, but decided to hell with it this year as the IFA is likely going away in favor of a draft. Which will likely screw up the entire process.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts