Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

How many still collect a player they used to "supercollect" but considerably less

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

michaelstepper

Jan 15, 2010
southeast Alaska
A question on the FCB FB group made me think of this question.
How many people collected someone say "super collected" and don't do so anymore?
For me it's easily griffey. My entire collecting world was griffey up until he retired, then the "need" waned to almost non existent. I traded a ton of doubles. Sold some jumbo patches and my autograph collection took a huge hit. Sitting at less than thirty now. I've been as high as 68 different griffey autos. I've owned as many as 140 different griffey auto cards the last 10 years. Still have all my base/inserts and parallels but don't buy much anymore. Anyone else?

Musial Collector

Aug 7, 2008
I stopped collecting Cuddyer cards, been selling them off for nice chunks of change, however I still collect full game used Cuddyer items.

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
In the '80s and early '90s, I used to collect everything of Rickey Henderson.
Then in the late '90s, it got too expensive and there were too many low-numbered cards, so I now just collect mostly his '80s A's and Yankees stuff and casually buy anything recent that catches my eye and is cheap.

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
I stopped cold turkey around the time Belle retired but it was perfectly times for when I was headed off to college more or less. I picked it back up after graduating from College and it worked well because Topps kept him out of the hobby from 2001 until 2011 haha! Almost like Topps knew I was away and didn't want to reintroduce him until I was back ;)

Anyways, to answer your OP, I haven't stopped and probably won't take a casual step back but would just stop all together.

nkdbacks

Aug 7, 2008
AZ
I did, but out of necessity. I've always collected the whole team, but I was pretty much exclusively focused on Brandon Webb during his peak years. Once he got injured and then retired, obviously the new cards stopped being made and the old cards stopped appearing as frequently.

So, I was pretty much forced into it. Had he continued on his path, I wouldn't have slowed down. It has been kind of nice, as I've gotten back to focusing on the whole team and my collection is more well rounded for it. I still pick up a new Webb whenever I see one, though that's maybe one a month if I'm lucky.

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
My Frank Thomas collection is way down. I was never a completist supercollector, but I got a lot of his cards. Back a few years ago when the "1500 club" thread started, I counted my Thomases and had about 200+ different from the mid-90s years, and was down to about 6 in 2008. Now, I am not even interested in most of his post-career cards, few from after he left the White Sox, and not even that many of his prime years. I'm into quality over quantity now.

thelesquad

Dec 6, 2008
I guess, in a way, I fall into that category. I have limited my current focus to cards from Ryno's playing years and anything serial numbered 23/XX, but I will no longer pay a premium on those cards. I had recently sold all of my #23 cards and just restarted that collection. I have not picked up a post playing year card in months and currently have no interest in them.

Members online

Latest posts