Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Thoughts on Nelson Cruz as a ASG starter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

michaelstepper

Jan 15, 2010
southeast Alaska
Wondering everyone's opinions on the guy and his all star starter selection.
I personally have a raised eyebrow at his entire season so far. Busted for PEDs,suspended 50 games and comes back better than ever? So whatever he was taking was holding him back? I firmly believe in innocent until proven guilty but the guys been caught once..
27 homers so far in fewer games than last year when he had the same amount at time of suspension.
Maybe it's a great story about coming clean. What do you think?

Bootstraps9

Feb 4, 2014
The guy used in 2011. He has been one of the best in the game this year and should be an all star starter.

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
It shows that fans obviously don't care about PED use. Same in 1998, when an obviously 'roided up McGwire and Sosa were hitting record amounts of home runs.

As an old school fan, I hate what steroids did to the record books.
But I also believe in second chances if the player admits he was wrong right away, and that's what Cruz did, unlike Braun, Bonds, Sosa, McGwire, Palmeiro, etc.

And Cruz reportedly took the banned substance for medical reasons after he lost 40 pounds from a gastrointestinal illness in the offseason and needed to gain the strength and weight back for the season.
He immediately admitted it was a dumb decision when he learned of the suspension.

Cruz definitely deserves to be an All-Star game starter this season.
I just wish he was still on the Rangers.

Last edited:

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
As a general rule my perspective is: ASG is based on this season so no reason not. HOF is career so much more of a question (not that Cruz will be in that discussion...)

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
Maybe it's a great story about coming clean. What do you think?

With Nelson cruz voted in, I think I believe the rumors that some orioles fans stuffed the ballot boxes tens of thousands of times and that the orioles offered perks to those who stuffed the ballot boxes, thus encouraging people to do whatever they could to stuff the ballot boxes, even if that was create multiple email addresses to do their 35 votes per email address if voting online.

Super Mario

Mar 1, 2009
Mushroom Kingdom
With Nelson cruz voted in, I think I believe the rumors that some orioles fans stuffed the ballot boxes tens of thousands of times and that the orioles offered perks to those who stuffed the ballot boxes, thus encouraging people to do whatever they could to stuff the ballot boxes, even if that was create multiple email addresses to do their 35 votes per email address if voting online.

Stuffing boxes, my favorite pastime.

jszczech

Dec 27, 2010
Minnesota
Do players that get caught have to go through extra testing or are they treated the same as players who have never been caught?

Bootstraps9

Feb 4, 2014
Do players that get caught have to go through extra testing or are they treated the same as players who have never been caught?

Not sure but everyone is going through more significant testing this year. Selig is working very hard to be known as the great commish who brought replay and fought steroids. He is an egotistical dbag who sat on his hands for decades and then did something when his time was running out.

hive17

Aug 7, 2008

There was CLEAR ballot-stuffing this year. How else do you explain Aramis Ramirez?

AmishDave

Featured Contributor, Collector Showcase, Senior M
Sep 19, 2009
Ely, MN
Stuffing boxes, my favorite pastime.

The box you fill just overflowed a couple weeks back ;)

Who cares ? John Lackey is a *****. He's had one good year and gets pissy because Ortiz isn't in the ASG. **** it. Let's just have everyone that's been voted in 4 or more ASG's keep getting in and don't have deserving players get in.

I'm glad he's in. He's been a very good player for a number of years. This isn't like he hit .220 w/an avg of 4 HR's for 8 years and has the numbers he has this year out of the blue. He deserves it.

AmishDave

Featured Contributor, Collector Showcase, Senior M
Sep 19, 2009
Ely, MN
There was CLEAR ballot-stuffing this year. How else do you explain Aramis Ramirez?

Weak year at 3rd. Frazier is really the only other logical player that could've been elected to start at 3rd.

jszczech

Dec 27, 2010
Minnesota
Every team encourages ballot stuffing to a certain degree.

I am fine with Cruz gettting in or anyone else who has tested positive in the past. The system they use is far from perfect but as long as they pass the tests they are taking now I am fine with it.

Bootstraps9

Feb 4, 2014

Slightly similar with Donaldson this year, but he got snubbed last year when he should have started. For that reason I am even happy he got the start this year.

Bootstraps9

Feb 4, 2014
Every team encourages ballot stuffing to a certain degree.

I am fine with Cruz gettting in or anyone else who has tested positive in the past. The system they use is far from perfect but as long as they pass the tests they are taking now I am fine with it.

Only players that have tested positive (of significance at least): Braun (not suspended for it, but suspended later based on paperwork), Ortiz (no one really knows what happened with it), Colon (suspended). I may be missing a couple but the point is there. Players only get suspended when the "Dr" is in need of money and talks to MLB.

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
The internet killed the All-Star.

that's why the All-Stars I take most seriously are the pitchers or the position players not voted in because those players were put on the team by their peers and not by the fans.

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
The internet killed the All-Star.
I know this is a play on the song, "Video Killed the Radio Star," but ballot stuffing used to much worse before the internet.
In 1957, for example, the entire Reds starting lineup except one player was voted in by ballot-stuffing Reds fans.
The commissioner had to step in and choose the rightful All-Stars.

Latest posts