Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Are dealers holding back cards (especially high end) to sell at the National? Thoughts?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
This happened to me last year but I believe dealers (and the like) hold back cards and keep off eBay leading up to the National to give them more horse power at the show? Do you agree? Maybe it's mostly high end cards but I can see them doing this, do you?

For example, Albert Belle has three bat knob cards in existence and none have hit eBay... leads me to believe at least one or all will be somewhere at the National with a dealer probably hoping he can get cash or top dollar at the National.

I am just interested in anyone else feels that leading up to the National dealers don't list as much on eBay and start to compile more of an inventory of nicer cards (especially high end) leading up to the National.

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2013
Seattle, WA
Of course dealers save cards for the National. Tables aren't cheap and they need cards that they can sell for top dollar to recoup their expenses. I agree with the previous post, though. If there are three cards known in existence, the odds are that those cards either haven't been pulled or aren't for sale rather than someone saving it for the National.

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
It was one example of what could be held back by a dealer for the National haha... Not saying that it is the only card(s) being held back. Sorry for the confusion, my bad - I'll modify the comment.

Last edited:

Gwynn545

Aug 29, 2008
North Seattle
I think EBay would give a million times more audience/interest than the National. If you had a card, it doesn't matter when you sell, only for how much! I see no reason to hold back, UNLESS you were looking to trade at the National.

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
I think EBay would give a million times more audience/interest than the National. If you had a card, it doesn't matter when you sell, only for how much! I see no reason to hold back, UNLESS you were looking to trade at the National.
This is exactly what I would think but just had a funny feeling maybe they hold back some cards or start to build an inventory to just have it full at the National... go to eBay after the National if they don't sell, etc.

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
Dealers at the national like to have big cards at their table because it brings people back over and over. Lots of people hitting message boards right now looking for high end peices for their tables...
That's interesting because as my OP said, I've always assumed they stock pile higher end cards for this purpose at the National.

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
So I would assume if you wanted a nice magnet for your table in cleveland, some high end Belle's would do the trick. Are you going to be there?
I'm trying my hardest to get back to Cleveland for this. I think there would be no better National than the Cleveland show for me to run across some nice Belle cards I don't have...

Members online

Latest posts