Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

The rip card dilemma and why it pains me...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

corockies

Mar 23, 2013
Colorado
http://www.ebay.com/itm/TULOWITZKI-...-Opened-/380947828181?&_trksid=p2056016.l4276

$_12.JPG
$_12.JPG

I would have paid $150-$200 (since 2 is Tulowitzki's jersey #) for this unripped and kept it in my collection unripped. However I've never seen a first or jersey # card hit auction of these guys w/o being ripped. I guess the allure of getting something good trumps the 2 players on the outside, especially when they aren't the most heavily collected. I'm not even remotely interested in this for the current $9.99 price. =(

Attachments

• $_12.JPG
    $_12.JPG
    43.1 KB · Views: 78
  • $_12.JPG
    $_12.JPG
    45 KB · Views: 75

LWMM

Feb 21, 2009
Why not throw in a $10 bid for the jersey #, and then try to also find an unripped one? Or you could just cut out the 2/25, and tape it over the numbering on an unripped one, turning an innocuous 14/25 (for example) into an unripped jersey numbered 2/25.

BunchOBull

Dec 12, 2008
Houston, TX
I appreciate the sellers who take the extra time to cut a slit in the end-ply of a rip card to remove the card. That said, my PC rip cards are unripped.

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
Couple of thoughts here...

1. I could never keep a Belle rip card sealed, just the possibility of what is inside is enough to open
2. Owning the ripped version is OK, I have a Belle that way and consider it owning the card as authentic but crappy condition :lol:
3. As [MENTION=2840]BunchOBull[/MENTION] said, I appreciate people who try and rip them nicely so that someone who wants the outer card would appreciate
4. As [MENTION=3275]Lancemountain[/MENTION] said, don't it personal... hopefully you get the ripped version from them

ASTROBURN

Jun 23, 2011
Santa Cruz, CA
So with the chance of the inside card being numbered or not, and possibly numbered higher than the rip card itself, then an intact numbered rip card could hold its value more than a ripped version and whatever is inside it? But then again, you could pull a lower numbered card that is more valueable... I can see the conundrum people face on whether to rip or not.

and its a crappy conundrum.

I felt the same about my 97 Pinnacle Inside can. I had it left sealed for a couple of years, then decided to open it. Got a McGwire insert out of it. But it was the possibility of pulling something great that finally broke me into using the can opener on it.

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
I think it's simple... if the card is for your PC (never going to leave), then why not rip it? I have a ripped Belle and I'm OK with that. It's checked off my list as I own the card itself, it's just torn... so it's in "crappy condition" or it's labeled as "authentic" by BGS if I were to get it graded. There are some loaded stuff in these and you'd be crazy not to rip it... just to have a mint version? That's crazy IMO and I'm a die hard player collector!

IUjapander

Jan 28, 2011
Indianapolis
There are some seriously very nice cards found only in rip cards. I'd always rip them, espec that 2006 one up there^^^ that year was loaded

In 2006 they didn't have the black blocker cards inside of the rip cards.

If he really wanted to hold the card up to headlights or a strong flashlight you can see what is in them.

I forget what year they finally put the black film so you couldn't do that anymore, but it is not a good idea to buy the early rip cards unless you really trust the seller

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
If there was a Garvey rip card and I could land it unripped, it would remain unripped.

SINFULONE

Sep 26, 2008
I don't blame them, just too tempting to rip.Curiosity alone would drive me nuts if I had one.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts