Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Advise on an eBay issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
Sold a card on eBay. Seller contacts me very aggressively saying the card came out of the toploader during shipping and got damaged, questioning my sanity and the like. I had foolishly not sealed the toploader so I told him to send me pictures and offered him a full refund.

He said he wanted a partial refund, and sent a bunch of pictures. Looking at the pictures I could not see anything but the slightest bit of damage. He wanted a $180 refund (card was around $500). I was not happy but figured I'd rather not fight over it, figured maybe the picture did not show the damage as bad as it was, and did not want to risk negative feedback. I ended up agreeing to give him $150 back.

2 days later I see the card on eBay with an insane BIN taking offers with no mention on the condition. Obviously it's a reminder that some people will do anything for a buck but I'm trying to determine if there is something I should do now?

bmp1971

Jun 8, 2010
New Hampshire
Sold a card on eBay. Seller contacts me very aggressively saying the card came out of the toploader during shipping and got damaged, questioning my sanity and the like. I had foolishly not sealed the toploader so I told him to send me pictures and offered him a full refund.

He said he wanted a partial refund, and sent a bunch of pictures. Looking at the pictures I could not see anything but the slightest bit of damage. He wanted a $180 refund (card was around $500). I was not happy but figured I'd rather not fight over it, figured maybe the picture did not show the damage as bad as it was, and did not want to risk negative feedback. I ended up agreeing to give him $150 back.

2 days later I see the card on eBay with an insane BIN taking offers with no mention on the condition. Obviously it's a reminder that some people will do anything for a buck but I'm trying to determine if there is something I should do now?

Well, the question is whether or not he lied about some form of damage to the card. You could bring it up with ebay, showing them he claimed damage and a partial refund ($150), but now has the same item listed without damage.

Or, you could just let it go.

Want me to message the guy and ask him about the condition of the card? If he denies damage, you could show his message denying damage to ebay.

bmp1971

Jun 8, 2010
New Hampshire
I could offer $350 for it and then demand a partial refund for "damaged item"-- then see if he handles it the way he wanted you to? haha

arod812

Sep 14, 2008
GR, Michigan
If this was me in this situation with such a high dollar card, I'd just offer a full refund or no refund. Now if this was a $15 card then I'd have no problem just refunding him partially or fully and just say keep it to just be done with the problem. eBay is too 1 sided with buyers cause they have such a advantage over sellers with feedback hanging over the seller.

Topnotchsy

Aug 7, 2008
He's in his right to list it at whatever price that part is not my issue. I sent him a message and am deciding on whether I should just let it go since there's really nothing I can do about it and he told me he is going to adjust the listing to add the condition.

mrdallas

Mar 20, 2013
Roseville CA
Look at his description of the card.

"Make an offer and this amazing piece of history could be yours. Arguably the best lefty of all time! Time will tell! But no doubt the best pitcher in ball today! 2008 Bowman Chrome Orange Refractor AUTOGRAPH on card auto 17/25! LA Dodgers. Condition of the card - front is beautiful due to being chrome side. No scratches or dings or pin spots. Back - great centering no dings or scratches or pin spots, however very slight white in a couple corners. Still sharp though. Upper right near picture is slightly edged. Still an amazing one of a kind card by the best pitcher in the game and of the modern era."

There is NO reason this guy should have asked for a refund. i say say this guy is an A-Hole. Sorry to hear that happen to you. I hate people sometimes.

Pine Tar

Mar 1, 2009
Oswego,Illinois
He's in his right to list it at whatever price that part is not my issue. I sent him a message and am deciding on whether I should just let it go since there's really nothing I can do about it and he told me he is going to adjust the listing to add the condition.

Maybe since i asked him the condition and some else has according to him. In his response

bmp1971

Jun 8, 2010
New Hampshire

If he received the card in worse condition than you sold it as, yeah, there's really nothing you can do. But if he merely said he did, and is now trying to sell it above or equal to the condition he bought it for, then he lied to you and took $150 from you and should be called out for it.

Pine Tar

Mar 1, 2009
Oswego,Illinois

Sent you a pm with the response

Regards Richard

Topnotchsy

Aug 7, 2008
If he received the card in worse condition than you sold it as, yeah, there's really nothing you can do. But if he merely said he did, and is now trying to sell it above or equal to the condition he bought it for, then he lied to you and took $150 from you and should be called out for it.

I honestly don't know. I never advertised it as mint condition (said it was NmMt) and based on what he is saying that's probably what it still is but it may have gotten slightly more damaged in the process.

bmp1971

Jun 8, 2010
New Hampshire
I honestly don't know. I never advertised it as mint condition (said it was NmMt) and based on what he is saying that's probably what it still is but it may have gotten slightly more damaged in the process.

If he bought it as "NM-MT" and is selling it as "NM-MT"-- then he should not have gotten $150 in a partial refund.

I highly doubt the card sliding out slightly from the toploader altered the condition of this card in question. His description of the condition in no way makes the card sound "damaged"....

Members online

Latest posts