Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Missing Foil - Garbage or unique printing Error?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
I recently picked up a few older CHEAP boxes from ebay and was busting them this weekend. I just finished opening a box of 1994 Ultra and noticed that most of the inserts were missing most or all of the brand logo foil. I know there was a time when I would have felt quite cheated and thought they were garbage. I already have most, if not all, of the cards already so I got to thinking just how I should receive these cards. Should I feel fortunate that I got some rare "no-foil" errors or should I just chalk it up to a cheap box break gone bad? I have not decided yet, but am probably leaning to the way of this wasn't such a bad deal, especially considering the box was under $10. The "big hit", the HR King card, which happened to be Frank Thomas, was fine. No missing foil. Back in 1994, I would have done backflips to pull a 1 per Box Thomas insert like this!!!

I know if I collected a certain player, i would probably add something like this to the collection as a variation if it was not too pricy. Some could compare these to some similar errors in the printing process (such as the NNOF Thomas), but I can't think of any instance where missing foil has garnered the excitement that similar errors got. I have to assume that the number of no foil copies is much less than their foil counterparts, but then again, does anyone really care.

What is YOUR personal feeling bout this type of printing error?

ASTROBURN

Jun 23, 2011
Santa Cruz, CA
I just now won a Zenith Bagwell missing foil. I like variants or errors like these. If you see any Bagwell cards missing foil, let me know.

SINFULONE

Sep 26, 2008
I would be bummed if I pulled all those misprints.But to some they may be unique.Love the design for the Harvey and Montgomery.

Will Style 13

Feb 9, 2012
York, PA
I've sold a few foil variations on ebay and I've picked up a few myself. These do appeal to player collectors at least from what I've seen.

fordman

Feb 22, 2013
Ohio
In the mid to late 90's when I was a dealer, we loved to get these as they sold for a small premium but we didnt get rich off of them. Fleer was the worst offender for these misprints though. They usually had the gold foil printing missing but the embossed stamp was there.

Fordman

jszczech

Dec 27, 2010
Minnesota
I add them to my Puckett pc whenever I find a new one. I like having variations in my collection even if they are misprints.

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
I consider them printing errors - usually the gold leaf sheet just runs out and a few cards are printed with the embossing but no foil, a common occurance when foil is applied to the printed cardstock. They're just an interesting error, and if I can pick it up cheap, I'll add it to my PC. I don't count them in my card counts / stats though.

91STADIUMCLUBNOFOIL.jpg
98DONRUSSGREERBACK.jpg

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
For me and Albert Belle, this type of stuff isn't really that big of a deal. I'll pick them up if really cheap or even some guys send them to me anyways. I don't chase stuff like this for my PC but can understand why some guys would... to everyone their own!

DaClyde

Jan 17, 2010
Huntsville, AL
I really like some cards missing foil. I'd love a set of 1992 or 1993 Topps Gold without the foil because then you'd just get a wide open picture without the clutter:

1992ToppsGold_error154.jpg

Members online

Latest posts