Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Do Tulowitzki's insanely lopsided Coors/Away splits diminish his great stats?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Troy Tulowitzki goes into the All-Star Game break leading the NL in batting average and tied in home runs.
But his Home/Away splits are incredibly lopsided, in about the same number of at-bats.

Coors: .418 avg., 14 homers, 35 rbi, 44 runs, 11 doubles

Away: .265 avg., 7 homers, 17 rbi, 27 runs, 6 doubles

We've all heard that Coors inflates offensive stats, but this split is insane.
Does this change your view of Tulo's season?
It makes you wonder how good he'd be on any other NL team.

gt2590

Super Moderator
Aug 17, 2008
Near Philly
Still an All-Star, but yeah, it really does hurt him in most peoples' minds.

Same thing for Helton. The splits are that insane, but they're still present...

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
I thought I had read a few years ago that the Rockies somehow used humidity or something at Coors Field to counteract the light air at high altitude and make playing there more equal to other ballparks.
I guess not. I would hate to be a Rockies pitcher.

SINFULONE

Sep 26, 2008
I read an article that Holliday had similar stats there when he was with them.His numbers have translated out of that park.

Still seems offense is down in that park.In the '90s seemed like every game was 11-9.

tpeichel

Oct 10, 2008
I thought I had read a few years ago that the Rockies somehow used humidity or something at Coors Field to counteract the light air at high altitude and make playing there more equal to other ballparks.
I guess not. I would hate to be a Rockies pitcher.

Yes, I believe they keep the balls in a humidor so the balls don't fly around as much. A big difference at Coors Field is that the pitches are straighter, because it is much harder to get a good breaking ball. Thus, when the Rockies players go on the road and suddenly the curves have nasty breaks and cutters move more, it makes hitting that much harder.

Lars

Aug 25, 2008
I think if he had those same splits but with the Yankees or Red Sox, people wouldn't really be inclined to care that they maybe severe.

Being a shortstop with great offensive numbers, he probably has a good chance of being a Hall of Famer as long as he stays healthy - home splits will ding him but the perception is he's a great all around player and not just a hitter who needs Coors Field to be a star.

Members online