Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Embarrassingly "F'd up" cards by companies

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
Not looking for traditional error cards, more like this stuff

Attachments

• 1405367800633.jpg
    1405367800633.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 146
  • 1405367811925.jpg
    1405367811925.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 139
  • 1405367831416.jpg
    1405367831416.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 127
  • 1405367840848.jpg
    1405367840848.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 174
  • 1405367853802.jpg
    1405367853802.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 143
  • 1405367879321.jpg
    1405367879321.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 135

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
Bad to misspell the brand name - even worse when it's on a "Stroke of Genius" card.

$_57.JPG

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008
I feel like half of the pictures Topps "tweets" out to "show off" upcoming releases are messed up. Not always to the extent of those shown above (although sometimes the definitely are!) but they're often messed up in embarrassing ways (off-centered, already damaged, upside down stickers) considering they are always like "Whoa, check this awesome hit out!"

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
Been a couple of times when cards have been made with the wrong Frank Thomas auto used. Frank Thomas autos (white guy from the 60's) on Frank Thomas (black guy from the 90's) card. Really bad on a high-dollar card like this of supposedly all White Sox.

l1.jpg

Nate Colbert 17

Aug 10, 2008
Texas
Somewhere, on a computer someplace, I have a photo of a Lou Brock card with an auto sticker on it that says "sign here".

Also, the Willie Wilson "fly" card deserves some special mention in this thread.

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
I'm sorry but some of this stuff is just absolutely unbelievable. I mean do they not have spell check for things like the "Masterpeice" error? Seriously?

The absolute worst are the screwed up bat name plates... that is just mind boggling to think they could screw something like that up. Honestly it's stuff like this that just has to thinking baseball cards in the "relic" era is just one huge ticking time bomb to explode on all of us... it's like one big BS system and we're all hook/line/sinker in it. Seriously though, if they screw up a name plate (twice already in this thread) how many stupid pieces of wood are not actually from the bat the player used or a bat in general... just sad.

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Honestly it's stuff like this that just has to thinking baseball cards in the "relic" era is just one huge ticking time bomb to explode on all of us... it's like one big BS system and we're all hook/line/sinker in it. Seriously though, if they screw up a name plate (twice already in this thread) how many stupid pieces of wood are not actually from the bat the player used or a bat in general... just sad.
This is exactly why I refuse to buy "game used " cards.
It's all a sham and a scam and I won't waste my money on a segment of the hobby that is bound to crash because of all the shadiness.

And the quality control is just embarassing. A Jason Bay autograph sticker on a Cal Ripken, Jr. card?
How do you screw that up?

Actually, I know how. Beckett Magazine once printed a behind the scenes article of game used and autographed cards.
It was supposed to be a positive article to show how cards are made, but it also had a picture of a bunch of 50-70 year old ladies sitting at a table with bags full of uniform swatches like they were at a quilting bee.
I'm sure those old ladies had no idea who most ballplayers are and made a million mistakes.

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
This is exactly why I refuse to buy "game used " cards.
It's all a sham and a scam and I won't waste my money on a segment of the hobby that is bound to crash because of all the shadiness.

And the quality control is just embarassing. A Jason Bay autograph sticker on a Cal Ripken, Jr. card?
How do you screw that up?

Actually, I know how. Beckett Magazine once printed a behind the scenes article of game used and autographed cards.
It was supposed to be a positive article to show how cards are made, but it also had a picture of a bunch of 50-70 year old ladies sitting at a table with bags full of uniform swatches like they were at a quilting bee.
I'm sure those old ladies had no idea who most ballplayers are and made a million mistakes.
I thought I read somewhere that they actually try to hire only people who are clueless about the sport and hobby to make the relic cards or whatever... that way there is less of a chance of them to steal the materials, cards, etc.? Forget where I read that or heard that.

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
I thought I read somewhere that they actually try to hire only people who are clueless about the sport and hobby to make the relic cards or whatever... that way there is less of a chance of them to steal the materials, cards, etc.? Forget where I read that or heard that.
Yeah, that does sound familiar.
Maybe FCB member MightyBombjack mentioned it because he worked at Topps.

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008
What is the flaw on the bat name plate?

"Garret" Anderson. So either Topps messed up with an incorrect bat (Garrett Atkins perhaps? minor star during that time frame) or it's also possible Anderson's bat manufacturer made the error though less likely IMO

Edit- selah beat me to the Atkins possibility but I don't think Jones was around that early

Last edited:

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
Yeah, that does sound familiar.
Maybe FCB member MightyBombjack mentioned it because he worked at Topps.
That could be. I just remember them saying they attempt to avoid theft and the like by hiring people who don't care lol... which I guess this is what you get as well lol

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Who is the picture of on the Snyder?
It's Ed Fitzgerald. The card is a reprint of the original 1957 Topps card, which had the uncorrected error.
Topps reprinted the card a few years ago for the autograph set either not knowing or not caring that the picture was wrong 50 years ago, which is kind of insensitive to Snyder to remake.

Members online

Latest posts