Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Is anyone else upset that Gwynn Made the Cover of the new Beckett?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gwynn545

Aug 29, 2008
North Seattle
Card4_front_Gwynn_zps015cafd1.jpg

Beckett did not put any of the other MLB players that died this year...how can they justify this??
[MENTION=7946]maxe0213[/MENTION]? How do you feel?? Beckett totally ignored all of these others:
Larry Arndt
Mark Ballinger
Bruce Barmes
Vern Benson
Jim Brosnan
Jophery Brown
Bud Bulling
Bobby Castillo
Al Cihocki
Mel Clark
Jerry Coleman
Drew Denson
Jack Dittmer
Jim Fregosi
Gabe Gabler
Mike Gordon
Johnny Gray
Al Greene
Billy Harrell
Bill Henry
Tim Hosley
Art Kenney
Ralph Kiner
Chuck Kress
Les Layton
Don Lenhardt
George Lerchen
Hector Maestri
Leo Marentette
Connie Marrero
Billy McCool
Guy Morton4
Eddie O'Brien
Charlie Osgood Tewksbury
Joe Pittman
Bob Powell
Bill Renna
Earl Robinson
Sonny Ruberto
Hal Smith
Roberto Vargas Santurce
Tom Veryzer Islip
Bob Welch
Dick Welteroth
Don Zimmer

elmalo

Feb 19, 2010
Gwynn was relatively young and a superstar. The others were either old or not the calliber player that Gwynn was.

michaelstepper

Jan 15, 2010
southeast Alaska
Gwynn is much more recent and a larger hobby impact unfortunately. All others should have a mention or talked about at some point. Maybe a stand alone issue with player bios and career highlights. Maybe a story or two from older players. I'd buy it every year

maxe0213

Oct 10, 2012
California and Oregon for school
@maxe0213? How do you feel?? Beckett totally ignored all of these others:

Like I was the only one who believed he didn't need to be talked about unless all the others were.

He's on the cover of an outdated magazine that people hardly buy anymore. Your point is..?

Sad he passed away, but no sadder than any of the others.

Lars

Aug 25, 2008
People pass every day but Gwynn was a notable 'superstar' and Hall of Famer from the last 20 years.

Jun 30, 2010
Card4_front_Gwynn_zps015cafd1.jpg

Beckett did not put any of the other MLB players that died this year...how can they justify this??
@maxe0213? How do you feel?? Beckett totally ignored all of these others:
Larry Arndt
Mark Ballinger
Bruce Barmes
Vern Benson
Jim Brosnan
Jophery Brown
Bud Bulling
Bobby Castillo
Al Cihocki
Mel Clark
Jerry Coleman
Drew Denson
Jack Dittmer
Jim Fregosi
Gabe Gabler
Mike Gordon
Johnny Gray
Al Greene
Billy Harrell
Bill Henry
Tim Hosley
Art Kenney
Ralph Kiner
Chuck Kress
Les Layton
Don Lenhardt
George Lerchen
Hector Maestri
Leo Marentette
Connie Marrero
Billy McCool
Guy Morton4
Eddie O'Brien
Charlie Osgood Tewksbury
Joe Pittman
Bob Powell
Bill Renna
Earl Robinson
Sonny Ruberto
Hal Smith
Roberto Vargas Santurce
Tom Veryzer Islip
Bob Welch
Dick Welteroth
Don Zimmer

Amazed that anyone would be upset about this; especially a Gwynn collector!!! I think this is a fitting tribute to one of the greatest hitters ever seen and a super example of a class guy on and off the field... What in the world is to be upset about... Don't understand your thinking. Plus, most of the others(in the overall picture) you mentioned only made minor contributions to the game( excluding Kiner and Zimmer and a couple of others).

Bryan

fordman

Feb 22, 2013
Ohio
So was Beckett wrong to do this as well?

51UEBlcQnGL._SY300_.jpg

or

165724.JPG

I havent read a Beckett in years but see no problem with it. Usually when a high profile sports figure meets their demise, SI and Sporting News usually have tribute covers.

I do think they should have a retrospective of Kiner (HOF) and Zimmer (probably HOF posthumous) in the Tony Gwynn issue since they're high profile as well.

Gwynn was/is good for the hobby as was/is Mantle and Musial. Kiner had a following but only to the vintage and HOF collector.

Beckett is a hobby publication and publishes the highlights and sometimes the low lights of the hobby. The only real notables on the list of deceased players other than Kiner & Zimmer are Jim Fregosi & Bob Welch, sorry to say, they dont really have a hobby following.

Fordman

Last edited:

Musial Collector

Aug 7, 2008
The OP is pulling something similar to the guy who wrote about kicking dirt on the plate with 8 year olds.

I think you might be onto something here ;-)

Its a lot more fun to leave the ~sarcasm notations~ off then to put them on when you want to have a little fun with folks :)

gmarutiak

Jul 23, 2010
Baltimore, MD
I know we all like to make fun and say that nobody buys Beckett anymore, but magazines are in the business of selling magazines.

I'm assuming they will sell a lot more copies of Beckett with Gwynn on the cover instead of the proposed Al Cihocki tribute issue.

So, to answer the initial question...no, I'm not upset.

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
not upset at all - Gwynn is a fitting subject matter and most importantly it's not yet another Jeter cover.

Members online

Latest posts