Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Where/When Is This Donruss Studio?! Photo-Matched Bat Inside! HELP!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Juan Gris

May 23, 2013
Columbus, OH
Okay, gang, help me figure this out! I just photo matched my newly acquired Adam Dunn bat to his 2002 Donruss Studio card #200 . I'm trying to track down when the picture was taken but my best guess would be during batting practice in a cold climate due to the BP style hat and the long-sleeved jacket. The bat was made between 2001-2002 and the 2002 Donruss Studio product released on June 15, 2002. I'm really in the dark on determining when the picture was taken and would greatly appreciate any insight.

Factors contributing to the photo match include:
-the taped bat knob
-the "lle" on the end of "Louisville" has a streak running through it where the wood was not burned
-the "d" at the end of "Powerized" is darkly burned
-the wood grain on the barrel between the LVS logo and the nameplate
-black mark on the right-center barrel (this mark is to the right of a matching oval-shaped grain pattern)
-nameplates are identical

Y30 Bat Phot Match.jpg

I also own the autographed version #'d out of 25!
2002 Donruss Studio Red Private Signings #200, 18 of 25 FRONT.jpg2002 Donruss Studio Red Private Signings #200, 18 of 25 BACK.jpg

Here is an article discussing the history behind the 2002 set and Donruss Studio in general:
http://packwar.blogspot.com/2012/10/the-history-of-donruss-studio-releases.html

Thanks again for the help!

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Considering the amount of bats players go through in a season, it's amazing you were able to photo match a bat you own to one on a baseball card.
Really awesome.

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
I thought the concept of Studio was the use of photos taken in a studio setting, not on-field photos. Since the bat shows no game use in the photo, may have been taken during the off-season or pre-season.

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
Wow, very cool! I should try and match up one of my three Belle gamers with a baseball card or picture. Probably harder than it sounds lol.

Juan Gris

May 23, 2013
Columbus, OH
Considering the amount of bats players go through in a season, it's amazing you were able to photo match a bat you own to one on a baseball card.
Really awesome.

Agreed. It was probably my main GU collecting goal to match a piece to a baseball card.

Here you go again with details... :wink:

Very cool Photomatching work, how long did it take ?

Ryan

The devil is in the details, my friend! :evil: :razz:

The initial photo match didn't take more than 10 minutes because I knew what years to be searching (it had to be 2002 or earlier) and there are only so many pictures of Dunn available online from that time period. What really helped was when I checked my cards from 2002 and earlier and the 2002 Studio card caught my eye. It's the time I've spent since photo matching the card that really adds up!

I thought the concept of Studio was the use of photos taken in a studio setting, not on-field photos. Since the bat shows no game use in the photo, may have been taken during the off-season or pre-season.
That's what I'm going to assume is the case until I'm able to determine when the picture was taken. If Donruss had not shut its doors I may have been able to inquire about the photography/photographer.

Wow, very cool! I should try and match up one of my three Belle gamers with a baseball card or picture. Probably harder than it sounds lol.

Very true. Most baseball card photos can't result in a bat photo match because:
-the player is not batting
-the bat is cropped out of the picture
-the bat is in the picture but too blurry (often the case when the player is swinging)
-the bat is not blurry but doesn't show any matchable characteristics (pine tar, ball marks, etc.)

Members online

Latest posts