Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Ebay Question for the Community. Never had this happen before.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

maxe0213

Oct 10, 2012
California and Oregon for school
Recently sold a 2012 Bowman Chrome Hensley Refractor Auto to a buyer with 500+ perfect feedback. I shipped the next day and recorded the packaging and dropping off of the package as well as shipped it with tracking. Tracking showed delivered and then three days later he messages me saying OMG. I JUST OPENED THEPACKAGE AND THE CARD WAS NOT IN THERE. WHAT GIVES!?

I asked him whether the package looked tampered with but he said no it was just empty. I went to make sure i didn't leave the card laying around by chance just to make sure and saw that it had indeed been pulled and shipped from the spot it was being kept(I'm a bit too organized for my own good so I know exactly where the spot where it was was.)

I then said something along the lines of I know it was in there, tracking proves it was delivered, and I have video of me packaging and shipping so I'm a bit confused.

However, I still asked him what would he like me to do (refund, partial, more cards, etc). and his response was DON'T DO ANYTHING. I'LL LET EBAY HANDLE THIS.

Should I be worried in this situation?

Never seen anything like this before.

Last edited:

matfanofold

Aug 10, 2008
If the package was not tampered with then there can only be 2 logical reasons as per Occam's razor.

1. You are lying (or at the very least sent a empty mailer).

2. He is lying.

I'm not sure how it is going to play out but I would not want to be in your shoes.

EDIT: Just curious while I sit here debating on who to believe....

Did you actually video yourself packaging a 6 dollar card or were you lying?

Last edited:

goobmcnasty

Apr 4, 2014
99% of the time ebay sides with the buyer, regardless of what REALLY happened.

If there isn't any video, you didn't do yourself any favors by lying about it. (In the eyes of getting it resolved, or in public opinion.)

Most people won't risk their reputation for a $6 card. Could it be possible he is telling the truth? If you printed the label through ebay, it comes with $50 insurance. File a claim with the USPS.

maxe0213

Oct 10, 2012
California and Oregon for school
If the package was not tampered with then there can only be 2 logical reasons as per Occam's razor.

1. You are lying (or at the very least sent a empty mailer).

2. He is lying.

I'm not sure how it is going to play out but I would not want to be in your shoes.

EDIT: Just curious while I sit here debating on who to believe....

Did you actually video yourself packaging a 6 dollar card or were you lying?
Yeah I do. Just because I've read on numerous forums that people say to do that in the case of this.
You video tape yourself packing every card?

And just a FYI even if you did doesn't really mean ****.
Yeah. I doesn't take much time to do so i figured i might as well lol. Have no idea if it means anything or not but I've heard it could protect me.
99% of the time ebay sides with the buyer, regardless of what REALLY happened.

If there isn't any video, you didn't do yourself any favors by lying about it. (In the eyes of getting it resolved, or in public opinion.)

Most people won't risk their reputation for a $6 card. Could it be possible he is telling the truth? If you printed the label through ebay, it comes with $50 insurance. File a claim with the USPS.
I'm not sure why I would post something like this if I was lying? It's not very hard to pack a card up in thirty seconds in front of a computer camera. Takes maybe 10 seconds extra time.

Thats why I was so surprised. It sold for 11.98. I know for a fact the card was in there. I've sold 3000+ in the last few months so I really don't have any reason to try and send an empty envelope on a cheap card. I like to make my buyers happy and do most anything to keep them that way. If he would've come at me in a calm way and discussed this I probably would've just refunded or sent him some more stuff but he was immediately on the offensive.

I mean sure I guess it could be possible but I have no idea how if he states the package looked like there was zero tampering. I agree, Im not sure why this would happen over such a cheap card.

I do find it surprising that he still hasn't opened a claim or anything after sending the first message earlier this morning. And the way he reacted to me after I said that I had video proof and the tracking number stating delivered makes me fairly suspicious.

Oh well, I guess we will see what happens.
I'll post in here tomorrow if anything new happens!

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
You video tape yourself packing every card?

And just a FYI even if you did doesn't really mean ****.

Unfortunatly, this.

It's a cheap card, good luck on the claim, etc. If I were you I'd call eBay or whatever makes sense. As someone else said, either you or the other guy is lying.

Juan Gris

May 23, 2013
Columbus, OH
It's a cheap card, good luck on the claim, etc. If I were you I'd call eBay or whatever makes sense. As someone else said, either you or the other guy is lying.

Or neither is lying, the package was expertly tampered with and the buyer didn't notice any tampering. Did you check the video of you packing and shipping the card? I'm not sure why you would mention checking where the card had been stored if you had video the entire time.

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
Or neither is lying, the package was expertly tampered with and the buyer didn't notice any tampering. Did you check the video of you packing and shipping the card? I'm not sure why you would mention checking where the card had been stored if you had video the entire time.
I thought it was said that the package was in great shape and not tampered with.

jbrown

Nov 28, 2009
KY
Basically it sounds like a scam but won't affect you. He wants to let ebay handle it because he will get refunded. You have seller protection and won't have to give a refund since you used delivery confirmation. He gets card and money. You get money. Everyone is happy.