Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Ryan Lee Gerhard - Facebook Scammer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

A_Pharis

First off - he got me.

I sent him $20 via PayPal Goods (covered) for a Duke Snider Heritage auto he posted in a BASEBALL CARD group on facebook.
He goes by the alias "Ryan Metalfan".

What he was doing was "Robbing Peter to Pay Paul". Apparently, he ran some Razzes back in May (one of the reasons I am AGAINST Razzes) where he was "razzing" off cards he didn't have.

To pay THOSE people back, he ran more Razzes. To pay THOSE people back, he picked cards to sale off for great prices. The Snider was only like $6 under eBay cost so I figured it was legit.

Today, after not receiving the item, I get this message on Facebook:
"I wanted to write this letter to explain and hopefully come to a conclusion where you'll let me work to pay you back as quickly as possible. In May I made serious mistakes. I got in deep. I attempted to work to fix those mistakes but things just got out of control to the point where I couldn't. I had to come up with a way so I decided to razz some cards. Some that I had and some that I did not have. Then when I couldn't fill those, I had to find a way to pay those people back. It was a horrible situation that I'm glad got found out. I'm not a bad guy. There's a lot of people that can attest to that I think. I made a serious error in judgement and I don't know why. My goal is to fix it. If you want to call the police, FBI, CIA, etc then I understand that. I can't do anything to stop that. I do not have the funds at this moment to pay you back today. I would like to work something out where I can repay you in full so that we can put this behind us. Putting me in jail isn't going to solve any issues. I just want the chance to pay you back. Right my wrongs. Do something. Please give me that chance."

In the group, he was already being called out. Here is a video from another person he sold to: (The one that prompted him to go into forgiveness mode.)
http://vimeo.com/102040390

Here is his "forgiveness" video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CM0dz8iKLDM&list=UUWB92WMvP4F7oWL2Q-3MMeg

The latest people are getting their money back, which is what he was counting on. He was trying to use scammed money to pay back previous victims and letting PayPal cover the rest. I have already spoken to PayPal, and I'm covered. He's being investigated by PayPal, too, as well as the IC3 division of the FBI.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
I didn't listen to the whole video (I could only last about 30 seconds actually), but it sounds like he is at least trying to make it right, is he not? Maybe he will, but then again maybe it is just BS to buy time. He could just hide from it, ignore people, etc. though.

Reminds me about two people who got me early on that still piss me off to no end even today. Neither were for anything of great value, but it was the principle of both and how both people basically screwed me twice, pretending to try to make it right before wronging me in the end.

First one was on the old beckett trade pages. Guy got a pile of cheaper Favre inserts (roughly $100 BV at the time) that was in trade for one of the Topps Mays reprint autos (which was $100 BV at the time). He sent me a regular reprint and tried to claim he couldn't tell and that his local card shop owner had verified it was a real signature. he then told me he'd make it right with some vintage football stars, but he never sent anything. In the end I got a $4 insert for my $100 worth of Favre cards! At some point the guy claimed to be injured or sick too, which was probably BS. If you happen to read this Tony whatever the frick your last name was (or if that was your real name), I hope you get yours in the end!

The other guy was early ebay days. He sent me a Drysdale Auravision record that arrived damaged. I asked for a refund due to his piss poor packaging and he begrudgingly agreed, but i had to send back the item, of course. i sent it back and then he delayed on the refund. The ****** finally sent a check that bounced! I have his name somewhere, but I don't remember it now. If that POS is reading this, I hope you got yours as well.

It really makes it hard to trust people when d-bags like this exist.

A_Pharis

I didn't listen to the whole video (I could only last about 30 seconds actually), but it sounds like he is at least trying to make it right, is he not? Maybe he will, but then again maybe it is just BS to buy time. He could just hide from it, ignore people, etc. though.

Reminds me about two people who got me early on that still piss me off to no end even today. Neither were for anything of great value, but it was the principle of both and how both people basically screwed me twice, pretending to try to make it right before wronging me in the end.

First one was on the old beckett trade pages. Guy got a pile of cheaper Favre inserts (roughly $100 BV at the time) that was in trade for one of the Topps Mays reprint autos (which was $100 BV at the time). He sent me a regular reprint and tried to claim he couldn't tell and that his local card shop owner had verified it was a real signature. he then told me he'd make it right with some vintage football stars, but he never sent anything. In the end I got a $4 insert for my $100 worth of Favre cards! At some point the guy claimed to be injured or sick too, which was probably BS. If you happen to read this Tony whatever the frick your last name was (or if that was your real name), I hope you get yours in the end!

The other guy was early ebay days. He sent me a Drysdale Auravision record that arrived damaged. I asked for a refund due to his piss poor packaging and he begrudgingly agreed, but i had to send back the item, of course. i sent it back and then he delayed on the refund. The ****** finally sent a check that bounced! I have his name somewhere, but I don't remember it now. If that POS is reading this, I hope you got yours as well.

It really makes it hard to trust people when d-bags like this exist.

He has been telling people he'd pay them back since the first round of Razzes. That was his thing.. just ripping off more people to pay the earlier ones back. What he was aiming to do with this was scam people to pay back old debts and then just let PayPal handle the rest.

That's not an attempt to make it right, it's an attempt to get out of ****.

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
Wow. That's 15 minutes I'll never get back. I don't know what to even say. He clearly is a scam artist and I don't know why he would even go to all this trouble... He might as well delete all his social media outlets and leave the hobby forever and wait for the Feds to knock at the door. Anything else is a waste of time as far as I'm concerned. No chance he thinks he will pay everyone back and he won't get in any trouble.

Glad some people are covered through Paypal. His video convicts him right off the bat. Also, great video by "Justin" haha get that guy to join FCB.

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
So what ever happened with this?

Also, what are all these FB groups and stuff? I guess I've never noticed a community on FB which deals in cards, trades, sells, does breaks, razzes, etc. Maybe I've just been under a rock for years.

A_Pharis

So what ever happened with this?

Also, what are all these FB groups and stuff? I guess I've never noticed a community on FB which deals in cards, trades, sells, does breaks, razzes, etc. Maybe I've just been under a rock for years.

A lot of people have gotten their money back. There are some who paid with MOs that are SOL. We'll have to see if charges are filed.

cubfanbudman

Apr 16, 2012
I bought a Javier Baez chrome auto off of him right before I went on vacation last week and just assumed it would be waiting for me when I got back. I found out while on vacation that he was a scammer and contacted PayPal immediately and they refunded me hours later. I heard his totals were close to 100k$ but Im not sure if its quite that high

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Freedom Card Board mobile app

cubfanbudman

Apr 16, 2012
I'm not sure. But if this was the case, he would have not made a video admitting to fraud. The Feds would love trying that case then.

Richard, I've heard from a couple people it was around 100k but like I said I kind of doubt its that high.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Members online

Latest posts