Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

What does an indentation do to a card's grade? 1973 Topps Schmidt RC Edition

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JEA2880

Aug 16, 2008
Connecticut
Hey everyone,

I picked up a 1973 Topps Mike Schmidt RC today at a tag sale. The card is beautiful except I noticed that there is a tiny indentation below the nose of John Hilton on the card - it looks as if it was pricked by a pin, but not all the way through (in other words, there isn't a hole in the card, just a pin-sized indentation).

Is this card still worth grading or does the pinhole-size mark kill it? Any idea what it might grade based on the photo? You can see the mark in the photo.

Schmidt_zpscf226d9a.jpg

Thanks and any insight is appreciated.

Nate Colbert 17

Aug 10, 2008
Texas
Great pickup!

Back in the day when "partying like it's 1999" was still in the future, I collected all the base issue cards for rhe Padres. I think I paid $50.00 for the John Hilton card!

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Ah the joy and frustration of the multiplayer rookie cards of the past. I still have never picked up that damn Ken McMullen RC for the 63 Dodger set! I did get my 73 Cey though.

Great pickup!

Back in the day when "partying like it's 1999" was still in the future, I collected all the base issue cards for rhe Padres. I think I paid $50.00 for the John Hilton card!

I believe indentations affect the surface sub grade only, but I don't care about graded cards, so I am not qualified to answer. The corners will affect the grade too and as another member said, it's probably not worth grading if you are expecting a high grade.

Todd44

Nov 25, 2008
Without the indentation it's probably a 7. WIth it, and the printer's mark on Cey's hat, it might go down to a 4 or 5. But if I was in the market for a 4 or 5, this would be a pretty nice example that might get a slight premium over other 4s or 5s.

JEA2880

Aug 16, 2008
Connecticut
Without the indentation it's probably a 7. WIth it, and the printer's mark on Cey's hat, it might go down to a 4 or 5. But if I was in the market for a 4 or 5, this would be a pretty nice example that might get a slight premium over other 4s or 5s.

Thanks for the responses everyone, but this one is exactly what I was looking for. I obviously knew I wasn't getting a 10, but it was a pretty nice older issue card (despite the Cey hat print spot) until I noticed the indentation.

Either way, it set me back a whopping $20 so I'm still happy.

swish54_99

Dec 12, 2012
I'd guess a 3.5- 4. Upper left corner is soft, plus like others have mentioned, the mark on Ceys hat and the indentation. Either way, you got a great deal for only $20!

Members online