Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Derek Jeter passes Honus Wagner for 6th in hits.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
NEW YORK -- Derek Jeter today passed Honus Wagner to move into sixth place on the all-time hits list.

Jeter's 3,431st hit of his career came in the sixth inning against Cleveland in New York.

"It is one of those 'wow' moments," Jeter said after the New York Yankees' 3-0 loss. "It's something I'm extremely proud of. Obviously, I would've liked to have won the game, but it's something I'll be able to tell my kids one day."

Jeter, 40, announced his retirement prior to the season. He has never played any position other than shortstop. Now, he has more hits than anyone who has ever appeared at the position.

"Honus Wagner, he is the last one on the list who has played shortstop," Jeter said. "That one hits home a little bit. Anytime you pass guys that have had the careers that they've had, it is kind of overwhelming."

Following the hit, the crowd gave Jeter a standing ovation as the ball was retrieved. Jeter said he doesn't know yet what he'll do with the ball.

"I'll put it somewhere safe," Jeter said.

If Jeter sticks to his retirement plans, Wagner will likely be the final player Jeter passes because Tris Speaker, at No. 5, has 3,514 hits. Pete Rose, the all-time hit king, had 4,256 hits.

Sig40cal

Jul 23, 2012
Atlantic Highlands, NJ
I think it's really cool how after that dreadful first half in '11 he has kept on ticking. I had given up on him and thought by this point he would be barely be hitting his weight and would play three days a week.

OscarOne

Jan 15, 2011
Honolulu, Hawaii, United States
From the game today. Jeter just struck out. It was a clear strike. The announcer just said “Tough to make that call against Derek Jeter in Yankees stadium.”

And that is why I cannot wait for this Jeter circle jerk to be over.

jcmint

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
Yeah but if he was on kansas city or houston nobody would know who he was. LOL. I laugh everytime I read that crap

Members online

Latest posts