Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Location of signature on ball discussion + POLL

Which location do you like and why?

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cardinals0103

Oct 5, 2008
Kansas
I've been collecting autographed baseballs for more than a decade and just recently had a change of philosophy.
Basically the general consensus for autographed baseballs is: best place on Sweet Spot?

I've gotten quite a few autos from various teams and on various baseballs. Basically starting last year, I found it more appealing to have the signature right below the logo on Rawlings MLB or MILB baseballs. That's just me but I know I'm not the only one.
Which location do you prefer and why? From a purely collector standpoint because I know that people who resell want SS

Reasons I like it more than SS is that you can easily tell on what kind of a baseball it's signed on and looks nicely with the corresponding logo

Some examples of both locations
Looks nice I think:
longoriaball.jpg

For example, when displaying this: you couldn't tell that it's signed on a 2006 WBC ball (one of my favs)
DSC01374.jpg

It works out really well on special edition baseballs such as All Star Games or World Series
DSC01379.jpg

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
If only one person is signing it then sweetspot.Only reason I say that is because it looks good and I want uniformity in my collection.I have a bunch of balls auto'd on the sweetspot and if one isn't and there is only one signature on it it looks out of place.Its also the reason I use nothing but Rawlings big stick black bats to get autos on.They are only $20, look nice, I can always seem to find them (now at least...a few months ago it was pretty hard to find any), and they all look uniform, and I always get them signed in the exact same place.

matchpenalty

Jan 12, 2009
North East
If it's a single signed ball, always go for the sweet spot on Official Rawlings MLB ball.

If the ball is a World Series or All Star special type ball, then always under that logo on the panel. Just like you did on the David Ortiz pictured. That is considered the sweet spot on that type of ball.

Then their is always Bert Blyleven famous quote when asked to sweet spot a ball. He claims anywhere he signs is a sweet spot!

Also, always use blue ball point pen if possible, never sharpie a ball.

cardinals0103

Oct 5, 2008
Kansas
matchpenalty said:
If it's a single signed ball, always go for the sweet spot on Official Rawlings MLB ball.

If the ball is a World Series or All Star special type ball, then always under that logo on the panel. Just like you did on the David Ortiz pictured. That is considered the sweet spot on that type of ball.

Then their is always Bert Blyleven famous quote when asked to sweet spot a ball. He claims anywhere he signs is a sweet spot!

Also, always use blue ball point pen if possible, never sharpie a ball.

hehe yeah, That ball is just something for my collection I guess, was going for a team ball but that didn't turn out well. Don't you hate it when you get a ball signed and the player uses someone elses pen to sign (especially sharpie when the rest of the signatures are ball point)

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
Baseball is a game about traditions and traditionally the sweet spot is the most coveted spot.

Therefore, I'll go with the sweet spot.

J.O.

Aug 7, 2008
a world series ball or all star ball, etc, under that logo. a regular auto ball, sweet spot

Greg Cleveland

Aug 9, 2008
Eau Claire, Wisconsin, United States
Here's a few from my bucket, just for comparison's sake.

Bert Blyleven Sweet Spot (sorry for the blurry pic--I should re-take a few of these)

bertsweet.jpg

Bert Blyleven side panel

bertside.jpg

Kirby Puckett All-Star ball--below the logo (my personal favorite in my collection)

puckas.jpg

Torii Hunter All Star Ball--Sweet Spot

hunteras.jpg

At least with the All-Star balls, they have the colored stitching to let you know they are special.

And one more (cause I love to show it off!)
Albert Pujols side panel (IP signing in 2002)

Pujols.jpg

ru4scuba

Aug 7, 2008
San Francisco Bay Area
200lbhockeyplayer said:
Baseball is a game about traditions and traditionally the sweet spot is the most coveted spot.

Therefore, I'll go with the sweet spot.

Although on special edition balls (All-Star, WS, HOF, etc) it is traditional to go under the logo if it is a single signed ball.

Members online