Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Are the Cubs Acutally finding some Pitching for the long term?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ballerskrip

Aug 7, 2008
Chicago Area
I wanted to get other thoughts on the Cubs and some of their recent moves, along with their pitching depth

In the Rotation Now

Jake Arrieta - Guy has been fantastic this year, appears to have the chance to be a 2, or a 3 at worst. 2.77 ERA

Travis Wood - Had a good year last year - struggling BAD this year

Kyle Hendricks - 4-1, 1.74 ERA with a 1.01 WHIP, he gave up 5 runs in his first inning of work, 3 runs in the next 40 innings

Tsuyoshi Wada 1-1. 3.25 in 5 starts since joining the rotation

Recent pick-ups with some upside

Jacob Turner
Felix Doubront

Do you think any of these guys can be long term solutions? I personally think the Cubs will go HARD after Shields and Lester in the off-season, and if so Arrieta would fit great in the 3 spot, followed by Hendicks, and Wood, with some young depth in the wings.

Thoughts?

James52411

Administrator
May 22, 2010
Tallahassee, FL
I think Arrieta is legit and Hendricks will be fine if he can locate well in his career. The latter will have to prove that he can be effective when teams are a bit more selective at the plate and less eager to help him by overaggressive hitting because they don't respect his stuff. I still think they need to sign two good starters if they are serious about trying to contend next year.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Last edited:

shayscards79

Aug 17, 2010
Chicago
I don't think they're really in any rush to find a big name pitcher. At least until they are in contention.

Fortunately they have the payroll space when that time comes and they won't have to trade any good prospects to do so.

ballerskrip

Aug 7, 2008
Chicago Area
A little update

Hendricks - 5-1, 1.78 ERA, 1.01 Whip

Arrietta - 7-4. 2.53 ERA, 1.01 Whip

Wada - 4-1, 2.56 ERA

C.J. Edwards is back and healty, pitching well since his return

I am chomping at the bit to see if the Cubs can find a way to sign Shields and Lester. If so, I think the Cubs can be back in the thick of things in 2015.

Members online

Latest posts