Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Remember these talking Ripken Stadium Club cards? Great unique 90s insert!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Each one played a short recording of a significant Ripken game, as called by the announcer(s).

I dug these out today because I wanted to see if the batteries were replaceable and I had forgotten. I was also afraid of possible acid leakage (if this type does that over time like regular batteries). Neither talk anymore and the sad part is, the batteries are not EASILY replaceable. I'm sure it can be done with a steady hand, a magnifying glass and a small soldering iron. I think this technology could have been a bigger hit had they made the batteries easily replaceable and cheap enough.

If you have never seen these, they are very similar to the thicker booklet cards we see frequently these days.

I couldn't get a better scanned image of the centers because the flaps didn't open all the way flat w/o damaging the card (another flaw to the design).

Last edited:

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
That's pretty damn cool. Never even knew those existed. I have the Bagwell from that release but they are a thin card. Not a talking book-sized one or anything.

u2me57

Mar 21, 2014
Hendersonville, Tn.
I have an off brand talking Chipper Jones card. It was a thicker card that audioed one of his home runs. I played it so many times for my 2 year old grandson the battery finally died. But they are pretty cool.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Just to clarify, these were not the screenplay cards you bought in the round gold tins. I believe these were either random inserts in a Stadium Club issue or maybe they were dealer premiums? Not sure now and I believe I bought both of them on ebay shortly after they were new. I'm guessing they are listed in one of the annual guides. I want to say 1998 is the year of issue.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
That was pretty easy. i guess i could have looked before I commented.

They were from 1998 Stadium Club issue and from the cardpedia site:

[h=3]Cal Ripken, Jr. Screenplays Sound Chips[/h]Packed into every HTA box as a box topper, is a lenticular card of Cal Ripken. Built into the card is a speaker and microchip containing a brief (around 15 seconds) of audio play-by-play. Card "A" was inserted into every Odd Series HTA box, while card "B" was put into each Even Series HTA box.
A Cal Ripken, Jr.
B Cal Ripken, Jr.

Members online

Latest posts