Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Beckett hot list 6 yrs ago (don't look if squeamish)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
Seriously, if you think you might still have these cards from this period, don't read below.

Some of the "highlights"

#1 Jay Bruce BASE bowman chrome $30
2. Bruce tc auto $175
3. Bruce bow ster auto jer $150
4. Utley bdp $30
5. Hamilton tt auto $300
8. Bruce 08 Spx auto $150
9. Utley bdp auto $250
10. *** u do me upper deck $12
11. Bc Hamilton $25
12. Bdp Bruce $10
13. *** u do me topps "sp" $80
14. Bow her Bruce auto $100
16. Finest Bruce redemption auto $120
17. Bc LAPORTA auto $80
18. Eee weiters auto $120
19. Total uggla base rc $12
20. "I have more buttons on my Jersey than rbi's" bc revere $25

The only card which has remotely held value is the 89 ud griffey at $50

lambert58

Sep 29, 2008
Melbourne, FL
Well I sold my Weiters and LaPorta, but I still have a Bruce Sterling GU - at least it's a BGS 9.5 w/10 auth. Wow look at all those Bruces cards on fire!!

Lars

Aug 25, 2008
Like how you spelled out the name of that one time Cubs outfielder from Japan - very funny. :D

fordman

Feb 22, 2013
Ohio
Hard to think that my PC guy was once the hottest cards around (Jay Bruce). Now, he's almost in the commons pile!

Fordman

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
I assume this trend repeats itself every year, as a new older batch of once hot prospects settles down and everyone realizes most were only potentials and not the real thing. For every batch of flops though, there are a couple gems that keep people gambling, I mean coming back for more each year.

For years, I tried to assemble a signed set of Topps All Rookie Team cards. It was hard enough to find people still getting base Topps cards signed, let alone getting all of the "hottest" rookies. Each year, 10 new names would appear and everyone wanted $10-15 or more for any of them. Eventually most would settle into $3 cards, but there are still a few gaps in my collection from those who actually got great and were tougher autographs. Some I just can't find and I have no idea why (Klesko, for example). I finally gave up on the new players because I just won't play the prospecting game with this set.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
Well guys...I hate to break this to you but it's not exactly like Jay Bruce, Josh Hamilton, or Chase Utley have had bad careers. They are still pretty damn good players. Worth collecting too. I don't even get it I guess. What exactly are people hoping to "cash in" on? Has anyone's cards stayed sky high? Not even Pujols has accomplished that totally. Was someone out there hoping they would even though not one single player's stuff has lasted at sky high prices? Yes there are highs for new guys coming up. But none of it has ever lasted per se. I'd say Pujols was the closest.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
Well I suppose it still remains to be seen but that was the premise as I remember: that these auto'd rookies would make great investments for the future should the player turn out decent.

OscarOne

Jan 15, 2011
Honolulu, Hawaii, United States
As an autograph collector its one of the toughest lessons I have had to learn: don't pay for prospects. Yea, it would have been nice to get Trout Bowman Chrome at $60, but for every Trout I get for $60 there are a bunch of other $60 dudes that never pan out. Lets the prospects do there thing, lets people buy into the hype (and dip into their wallets). So many of these guys become good players with long careers, but whose prices never come close to matching what they did while hyped rookies.

Baseball is all about the long game. And this hobby is more fun if you play it.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
As an autograph collector its one of the toughest lessons I have had to learn: don't pay for prospects. Yea, it would have been nice to get Trout Bowman Chrome at $60, but for every Trout I get for $60 there are a bunch of other $60 dudes that never pan out. Lets the prospects do there thing, lets people buy into the hype (and dip into their wallets). So many of these guys become good players with long careers, but whose prices never come close to matching what they did while hyped rookies.

Baseball is all about the long game. And this hobby is more fun if you play it.

Couldn't agree more!