Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Awesome redemption mailday with a problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CollectorsCorner

Super Moderator
Feb 13, 2009
Haven't redeemed a card since Fleer went out of business but decided after seeing a couple live 2014 Aaron autos I would take the chance. Turn around was great at about 1 and a half weeks so no complaints there.

But this is supposed to be a red ink auto /65 and they sent me the /65 version but with blue ink.

For this particular card the base version (blue ink non numbered) is actually more rare and sells for higher. But I am not sure what to do with a blue ink #/d card

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
I don't know about the ink and numbering, but Aaron's autograph is looking a lot better.
It had been getting really shaky over the last few years and some of the recent certified cards looked bad.
I hope this means Aaron's health is improving.

TNP777

Aug 7, 2008
the 209
I don't know about the ink and numbering, but Aaron's autograph is looking a lot better.
It had been getting really shaky over the last few years and some of the recent certified cards looked bad.
I hope this means Aaron's health is improving.
Thanks for pointing that out. You're right - it looks a LOT better.

OP, have any other /65s shown up that are actual red ink?

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008
Seen any more reds out there? It's possible he signed them all with the wrong pen. Either way that's a beautiful card regardless of ink color!

SINFULONE

Sep 26, 2008
I would probably keep it, unless you really want the red version.The way Topps customer service is if you send if back there is no telling what they send you.Does the player sign the 50/65 or does Topps employee sign that?I would think the 50/65 designation would be an obvious designation to sign the card in red.I agree, Aaron's signature looks better now than it did before.Nice card either way.

CollectorsCorner

Super Moderator
Feb 13, 2009
I thought I had seen one other live Heritage auto from 2014 on eBay a little while back but haven't been able to locate it. So I haven't seen any red copies at all. I did want red ink since I like the way those look but an Aaron auto is an Aaron auto :)

If they are all blue I'm cool with that but if reds start coming out I would be interested in seeing what Topps would do.

TNP777

Aug 7, 2008
the 209
Someone on Facebook got one a few weeks back as well, but Topps sent a letter explaining that there are no red ink versions of his card, only blue
So that's it. I know people bag on Topps all the time. I usually refrain from doing the same, but as a Heritage guy this is yet another black mark against their piss-poor attention to detail. Since it's inception, there has always been a clear line between the regular blue ink autos and the rarer reds. I'm pretty sure there was a similar screw-up with Mays in 2012. I can't believe it so damn hard to make sure the proper color pens are sent with the blank cards.

CollectorsCorner

Super Moderator
Feb 13, 2009
Someone on Facebook got one a few weeks back as well, but Topps sent a letter explaining that there are no red ink versions of his card, only blue

Thanks for the info. I just went back to the package and found the same letter.

Now my question is what is to stop somebody from removing the numbering and selling it as a blue which sells for over $100 more than the red? Interesting

SINFULONE

Sep 26, 2008
Thanks for the info. I just went back to the package and found the same letter.

Now my question is what is to stop somebody from removing the numbering and selling it as a blue which sells for over $100 more than the red? Interesting

Wouldn't trying to remove the numbering ruin the card?

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008
So that's it. I know people bag on Topps all the time. I usually refrain from doing the same, but as a Heritage guy this is yet another black mark against their piss-poor attention to detail. Since it's inception, there has always been a clear line between the regular blue ink autos and the rarer reds. I'm pretty sure there was a similar screw-up with Mays in 2012. I can't believe it so damn hard to make sure the proper color pens are sent with the blank cards.

I'm sure this was Aaron's mistake. A case where a representative present while signing would have helped instead of sending a bunch of different colored markers and confusing instructions to an aging man without a ton of hobby knowledge beyond writing his name over and over for 60 years

Last edited:

jbhofmann

Mar 12, 2009
Indiana
There was a thread exactly like this on another forum except it was Mays.

If I remember correctly the owner threatened Topps several times and was wanting a high dollar replacement. Mays simply signed all the Reds in Blue.

mrniceguy1126

Oct 6, 2008
NEPA
Maybe Topps could have written the numbering in red ink to at least make a distinction since (I believe) that's added after? But then there would have been 2 different colors on the card.

jbhofmann

Mar 12, 2009
Indiana
I'm not one to bag on Topps but all it would have taken was a short note written by some intern to explain what happened.

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
I'd keep it and just keep moving. Be thankful you got a redemption back haha... Surprising how that system works and how many are waiting on hundreds of dollars worth of cards.

Members online

Latest posts