Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Monopolizing the '64 topps curt flood market

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
This story appears in ESPN The Magazine's September 15 Renegades Issue. Subscribe today!

1409444285930.jpg

BASEBALL CARD COLLECTING, like baseball itself, is a world governed by tidy metrics -- achievement, timing, scarcity. But every now and then, an aberration throws things into disarray. Rich Klein stumbled across one such glitch a few years ago when he heard a rumor about a card that was confounding hobbyists. Klein, a mortgage servicer who moonlights as a collector, looked up the cardX -- the 1964 Topps Curt Flood, a middling, widely produced issue -- and saw that it was inexplicably overpriced. "I did a little research and thought, 'This is fascinating,'" he says.

A low-quality copy of the '64 Flood goes for about $30 -- more than five times what it should, Klein estimates. A pristine copy costs upward of $1,000. Such prices defy logic; while the Cardinals' center fielder was an exceptional ballplayer -- Flood won the Gold Glove seven times -- he was no Mickey Mantle. Flood is best known for challenging baseball's reserve clause, spurring the creation of free agency.

Winni Wintermeyer
A low-quality copy of this Curt Flood card sells for about $30, but higher-quality cards can go for more than $1,000.
The case of the '64 Flood has befuddled card hounds for years. A blogger who chronicled his pursuit of the entire '64 Topps set called it "one of the more perplexing cards" in the collection. Numerous message-board threads pondered the riddle. "This card was a pain," complained one collector. Others said they had heard a single buyer was gobbling up inventory. "Perhaps he's just absent-minded and forgets to cross that card off his want list," someone offered. Klein wrote about the '64 Flood for Sports Collectors Daily, noting that it had attained "mythical status."
Many fans build collections around a single player. Very few, though, have sought out multiple copies of a single card. Reggie Jackson is rumored to have tried to buy every copy of his own rookie card; one anonymous collector owns more than 300 of the 1,000 copies of Albert Pujols' 2001 Donruss Elite card. Cornering the market is not only difficult but also unlikely to be profitable; as soon as supply expands again, inflated prices typically plummet.

Chris Buckler, a dealer in Kentucky, says he's sold about 10 cards to the so-called Flood guy. He's met him at card shows, but he can't recall his name. "It's a weird hobby," he says. The message-board threads didn't reveal the collector's identity, but one commenter wrote that an eBay account belonging to Madcardbuyer seemed to be a locus of Flood-related activity. The user's avatar is a tiny photograph of two cats lounging inside a home office. His name, the site says, is Mike Hally.

A quick records search produces an address, then a number. When Hally picks up the phone, he chuckles. "You've found the guy," he says.

Hally, 59, is a retired engineer. He spent 25 years at Atari designing games like Star Wars. He's lived in California since 1969, when his family left tiny Centralia, Missouri. During the summer of '64, Hally, then 9 years old, played center field like his idol Flood. "He could do everything," says Hally, who smuggled his mom's transistor radio into school to listen to games. That fall, St. Louis won its first World Series in 18 years.

Decades later, while working at Atari, Hally started collecting cards. When he first saw the '64 Flood, memories washed over him. He was enchanted by the player's grave pose -- glove up, hand nestled inside. "He's just got that look of determination in his eyes," Hally says. He decided to purchase several copies of the card. Then he bought a few more. Eventually he had acquired so many '64 Floods that dealers started setting them aside for him. Today he owns some 4,000 copies, likely close to a quarter of the population. He keeps them in special boxes, stashing the most valuable mint-condition ones in a safe.

Hally admits that his hoarding has created "a nightmare in the hobby." He has seen the posts about the collector. "I thought, 'Oh yeah, that's me.'"

It's easy to understand why Hally loves Flood's card. It's less clear why he decided to buy all of them. He doesn't have a simple explanation. "Lots of people do things that some people think are weird," he says. He has no plans to sell. Instead, he's still chasing a dream that reminds him of his past while also pushing him forward. Every morning, he wakes up and checks to see if a new '64 Flood is for sale.

"I bought one yesterday," he says. "I'll probably buy one t

mmier118

Jan 29, 2010
I knew the 64' Flood was a tough one and had heard that one guy was hoarding them but I thought it was just a myth, an urban legend of baseball card collecting. It's kind cool to find out that the story is true. One day this guy might flood the market though.

magicpapa

Aug 7, 2008
1997toppsMit1998StarsandSteel027_zps42481240.jpg

u2me57

Mar 21, 2014
Hendersonville, Tn.
Awesome story. Great read. Yeah, you would think that there would be more than 16,000 of that card, especially with it being a low numbered card. I wonder if Rich knows there are 3 available on Sportlots now, NM, EX, and VG.

sabrgeek

Apr 10, 2010
I've never been on Sports Lots so had no idea to check there. Remember I'm not the chaser of this card. But I think I will do a riff on this for a future column because in many ways this is not as expensive to do as you think. Besides it's nice to have my 15 seconds of fame

nevermore

Aug 7, 2008
New York
Great read! I remember there was a Teixeira collector like this who was hoarding his 2001 RC #/500, and had a significant chunk of that card.

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
he had over 125 cpies i think. he lists them for sale on ebay occasionally, but like to draw more copies out.

this is the first I've heard of Flood hoarding, but 60s cards especially are susceptible to weird market forces. sometimes due to condition, but also hoarding. I think it was the 1968 or 1969 Topps Tigers team card about 15 years ago that shot through the roof because supplies were weirdly low, and it's notoriously OC.

I think that its awseom this guy found a lifeong passion and has amassed such a stash.

Matsuicollector

Aug 7, 2008
When I was in grade school I did a report on Curt Flood and how free agency revolutionized the game of baseball. I've always wanted an autograph of his in my collection.

nevermore

Aug 7, 2008
New York
I haven't been following vintage cards too closely. But I've read some cards have become harder to chase for various reasons. I think there is a card in the 1952(?) set which is notoriously hard to find, it was short-printed to begin with and then I've read that the guy is also a home-town hero and people from his local town hoard it and snatch up a copy when ever the card comes to market. This makes is especially hard for set collectors to find. It's fascinating to learn about these cards and collections. Very few modern cards carry have this sort of sentiment and lore attached to them.

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
Weren't the 01 bc Davenport auto and 00 Pacific Omega Piniero hoarded?

Sent from my HTCONE using Freedom Card Board mobile app

sabrgeek

Apr 10, 2010
Yes on both those counts, both those cards got to levels far beyond what they should have gone for. But I don't think either will ever evoke memories of 1964.

Members online

Latest posts