Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

My new (very old) mitt

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MrMet

Apr 6, 2010
The Poconos
So maybe you saw my posts in the Morning Thread about a mitt I found at an antique store. Hoping some baseball detectives can help me out with it!!
Here's the info that came with the mitt
ImageUploadedByFreedom Card Board1409484210.724971.jpg
Says it's from Elmer Valos estate, but says nothing about it being his glove, or anything like that.
Now here's the glove
ImageUploadedByFreedom Card Board1409484261.668972.jpg
ImageUploadedByFreedom Card Board1409484277.635863.jpg
Besides the strap to the buckle being broken, it seems like it's in great shape
ImageUploadedByFreedom Card Board1409484305.894607.jpg
And like the paper says it's definitely an old Spalding
ImageUploadedByFreedom Card Board1409484358.363233.jpg
Now, upon closer inspection, on the palm of the glove I can read a very faded "John" and some semblance of a last name, here's the best pic I can get of it
ImageUploadedByFreedom Card Board1409484422.470964.jpg
If there is a name there, would that just be the glove style, or would that be an owners name? And how can I make the name pop? I was thinking about rubbing baby powder over it and hoping the baby powder collected more in the grooves of the name than the glove, but could that damage it in any way? Any help would be appreciated!

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008
Cool piece! I can't help much but notice the note says he threw right handed. That appears to be a left handed glove so either that info is wrong or it wasn't his own personal glove

MrMet

Apr 6, 2010
The Poconos
Cool piece! I can't help much but notice the note says he threw right handed. That appears to be a left handed glove so either that info is wrong or it wasn't his own personal glove

Wow, how did I miss that?! Haha
Everything I've read says he threw righty, yup not his glove, that just deepens the mystery, dang

MrMet

Apr 6, 2010
The Poconos
JOHNNY MIZE????

Haha no, the name was definitely longer than that. I tried rubbing baby powder in to bring the sig out more, but that didn't work. A guy from Vintage Sport Shoppe recommended lexol to clean the mitt and bring the sig out more, but I'd have to go buy some

A_Pharis

John Burrows is a leftie that played with him for the A's in '43. Burrows was a pitcher, though. Could we get a better shot of the name on the glove?

(if it - by a long shot - is Burrows... he was born in Louisiana, and I would beg for the glove. LOL!)

MrMet

Apr 6, 2010
The Poconos
I can't get a better picture, I can't even read it myself, besides the John....i gotta figure out a way to make the name pop

michaelstepper

Jan 15, 2010
southeast Alaska
Awesome pickup! So jealous
Def left-handed and the name looks something like "john" followed by another "j" or letter if the same type. Will it take a better pic turning the flash off and rotating the glove out of the direct light? Sometimes changing the light source the shadows give away more than direct light

MrMet

Apr 6, 2010
The Poconos
Awesome pickup! So jealous
Def left-handed and the name looks something like "john" followed by another "j" or letter if the same type. Will it take a better pic turning the flash off and rotating the glove out of the direct light? Sometimes changing the light source the shadows give away more than direct light

I tried different light, different camera filters... I don't know... That mitt guy told me about the laxol, I might try that, it's supposed to restore leather

michaelstepper

Jan 15, 2010
southeast Alaska
Hmm. Looking through baseball reference the only john J's I found who were left handed were 2 pitchers and a PH/utility guy that ended his career in 33. I only looked up to the late 40's.
Very confusing.

MrMet

Apr 6, 2010
The Poconos
I'm at my parents now, when I get home, or tomorrow, I'll try to take more photos, different angles/filters

Members online