Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Morally obligated or not

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mrdallas

Mar 20, 2013
Roseville CA
I want to hear peoples opinion on something I have noticed looking through the internet.

I have scoured the internet now for years just browsing, looking for rare cards that people have or had. I have come across some really interesting web pages and have seen some shady stuff over the years. People just outright trying to rip people off etc. so I want some opinions.. I know we are all trying to get deals on cards but.....

Answer this for me..

1). If someone asks others help on the value on a card, whether it is on the forums, blog or really anywhere because they are really just ignorant, should you give them an honest evaluation?

I say yes. Although they should do their own research, to BS someone, lowball the heck out of them and claim that you are really looking for these cards because you have ALWAYS wanted this card, but darn well knowing you only want to flip them is shady IMO. To get a 1k plus card for only 1/3 of that or less because you know that they are clueless is no excuse. I am not saying that if someone lists on eBay or puts a price on a card that you don't have the right to buy that card. Once they have priced their card then to me it is fair game because anyone can buy it for that.
What I am saying if someone is asking help on valuing a card you should be honest and not try to deceive them. If you do deceive then I feel that is DIRTY POOL.

What do you think?

BTW I am not calling anyone out I am just asking for opinions.

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
Absolutely if your giving input , it should be honest input. That doesn't mean that there isn't varying degrees of what something is valued at , but there is a general ballpark

Ryan

mrdallas

Mar 20, 2013
Roseville CA
Always be honest, even if it disappoints them...

Yes it can definitely play out in reverse... People can think they have a gold mine. I had someone recently tell me they had the whole 1986 topps set they put together and asked me a value, I said 5 bucks if they were lucky, needless to say they weren't happy with me. Lol

moxacaine

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Fredericksburg, VA
Yes it can definitely play out in reverse... People can think they have a gold mine. I had someone recently tell me they had the whole 1986 topps set they put together and asked me a value, I said 5 bucks if they were lucky, needless to say they weren't happy with me. Lol

i get that a lot too. I am always like "dont be mad at me, im not trying to rip you off. I wouldnt even buy it at $5" lol

finestkind

Aug 17, 2008
Massachusetts
I say yes. But, I've had people turn around and call me a liar when I told them the players signature is printed on the 1990's cards.

mchenrycards

Featured Contributor, Vintage Corner, Senior Membe
If someone asks the value of a card I certainly believe that you must be honest with them no matter what.

Let me pose this question. An obvious non-collector, older woman walks into a show/shop with a bag full of cards that are vintage and worth some money. The woman says she just wants to get rid of them and asks for a hundred bucks. Since the cards are worth many more times what she is asking do you fork over the hundred bucks in a heartbeat, knowing you are going to make some nice profit or do you tell her the true value of the cards and let her know what she can expect to get for them?

mrdallas

Mar 20, 2013
Roseville CA
Under this situation you should feel obligated to at least give her a ballpark figure of what they are worth.... doesnt have to be exact as a card shop is in
business to make money, but to rip her off is wrong

michaelstepper

Jan 15, 2010
southeast Alaska
I had a similar situation with an elderly lady selling an auto. Don't remember which one now but the thing would of easy sold for 80-100 on eBay. She wanted somewhere in the realm of $20 for it. I told her I'd feel bad if I bought it for that and I simply couldn't do it. Ended up paying $50 for it and she seemed exceptionally happy afterwords as we talked for another 10min or so.

Last edited:

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
Back in 2005, I was at a show and there was a younger teen walking around trying to sell his entire case of just released bowman chrome from that year.

The only cards removed were the autos and refractors and Remember, back then base bc prospects had REAL value and big potential so I had interest.

He told me $20 to which I replied that I couldn't give him THAT, and instead offered $50. .....Needless to say, the kid was taken back.

I also had a young kid and his dad come into my store with a 93 ud Jeter rc. A nice $10 card I thought until I flipped it over and saw a gold hologram! They had no idea and thanked me.

There's more I can tell but sadly, there's a million times more "sorry, your 89 topps..." Situations.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Here is another take: Do you inform the "professionals" in a card shop, show or other that the item they are selling is worth much more or do you just buy it because that is where they priced it? The major example of this stems back to the Ryan RC that was miss marked by a store employee who didn't really know what they were doing and someone bought it for $12 instead of the $1200 it was supposed to be marked.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/blog/bi...yan-rookie-card-was-mistakenly?urn=mlb,253959

Most shop owners might cringe at a super deal if they miss marked something, but then again most won't fight it. It just depends on the amount of the error I guess.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
Here is another take: Do you inform the "professionals" in a card shop, show or other that the item they are selling is worth much more or do you just buy it because that is where they priced it? The major example of this stems back to the Ryan RC that was miss marked by a store employee who didn't really know what they were doing and someone bought it for $12 instead of the $1200 it was supposed to be marked.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/blog/bi...yan-rookie-card-was-mistakenly?urn=mlb,253959

Most shop owners might cringe at a super deal if they miss marked something, but then again most won't fight it. It just depends on the amount of the error I guess.

Honestly, if you own a card shop and mark something wrong, or have someone working behind the counter that doesn't know anything, that's on you as the owner. I'm thinking that story even happened because the owner wrote $12 on the tag knowing it meant $1200. But of all the places in the world that you don't want to hire someone without experience, a card shop or an antique store have to be near the top. The whole business is predicated on knowing the hobby. It's not foolproof like a retail store where you just scan the bar code.

What I encounter more often than not is rarer cards at shops that have dust collecting on them that are priced at pennies on the dollar because the owner doesn't have the time and patience to hop online and see that that particular player has a major following. I've picked up some nice stuff this way. But on the flip side, I don't really think the card is worth as much as some of these nutballs on ebay will pay for it. In my mind, if two or three people will pay a ridiculous amount and the rest of the world won't, I side with the rest of the world when determining the card's value.

Members online

Latest posts