Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

1999 APOH 500 Home Run Auto set in pictures - set complete

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
The efforts to build the 2001 SP Legendary Cuts Auto set has stalled (link below) so let's start with another historic set; the 1999 APOH 500 Home Run Auto set.

http://www.freedomcardboard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=141213

edit 12/17 I believe with the additional scans of Banks and Mathews that this is the complete set. Seems like there's little chance that anyone has a complete set, but I guess it's possible...

AaronAPOHBatAutoebay_zpsba9986df.jpg

SchmidtAPOHAutofront_zps589811ca.jpg

500HRmickeymantle.jpg

I believe this one belongs to a very generous board member:
GriffeyAPOH500Auto.jpg

robinsonautofront.jpg

aa06_1.jpg

6df5_1.jpg

1999APOH500HRClubWillieMaysBatAuto.jpg

519a_1.jpg

McCovey.jpg

Sosa.jpg

Jackson.JPG

View attachment 40502

View attachment 40503

View attachment 44005

View attachment 44006

Last edited:

Topnotchsy

Aug 7, 2008
From baseballcardpedia.com:

• The Mickey Mantle card is a cut-signature.

• The Sammy Sosa autograph card packed out as an exchange card which expired in 2006.

• The autograph program was stopped after 2004, and as a result, autographed A Piece of History Cards do not exist for Frank Thomas, Jim Thome, Manny Ramirez, and Gary Sheffield.

• Ken Griffey, Jr. autographed 25 copies of his card for random insertions into packs of 2004 Upper Deck Etchings. Griffey never wore uniform #25.
536HR Mickey Mantle CUT 1
EBAU Ernie Banks 14
EMAU Eddie Mathews 41
FRAU Frank Robinson 20
HAAU Hank Aaron 44
HKAU Harmon Killebrew 3
KG Ken Griffey, Jr. 25
MSAU Mike Schmidt 20
RJAU Reggie Jackson 44
RPAU0 Rafael Palmeiro 25
SMMC Mark McGwire 25
SSAU Sammy Sosa EXCH 21
TWAU Ted Williams 9
WMA Willie Mays 24
WMAU Willie McCovey 44

Last edited:

Topnotchsy

Aug 7, 2008
How common is it for manufacturers to give rare cards to players?

I don't know, though I know in the Williams auction this was not the only one (although as mentioned this one is not numbered and seems to be a sample or something along those lines).

SINFULONE

Sep 26, 2008
From baseballcardpedia.com:

• The Mickey Mantle card is a cut-signature.

• The Sammy Sosa autograph card packed out as an exchange card which expired in 2006.

• The autograph program was stopped after 2004, and as a result, autographed A Piece of History Cards do not exist for Frank Thomas, Jim Thome, Manny Ramirez, and Gary Sheffield.

• Ken Griffey, Jr. autographed 25 copies of his card for random insertions into packs of 2004 Upper Deck Etchings. Griffey never wore uniform #25.
536HR Mickey Mantle CUT 1
EBAU Ernie Banks 14
EMAU Eddie Mathews 41
FRAU Frank Robinson 20
HAAU Hank Aaron 44
HKAU Harmon Killebrew 3
KG Ken Griffey, Jr. 25
MSAU Mike Schmidt 20
RJAU Reggie Jackson 44
RPAU0 Rafael Palmeiro 25
SMMC Mark McGwire 25
SSAU Sammy Sosa EXCH 21
TWAU Ted Williams 9
WMA Willie Mays 24
WMAU Willie McCovey 44

I have seen a Sheffield that someone had him sign at a show, and it looked just like the pack pulled autographs except for the numbering.

SINFULONE

Sep 26, 2008
I don't know, though I know in the Williams auction this was not the only one (although as mentioned this one is not numbered and seems to be a sample or something along those lines).

So how would BGS slab that?Especially if someone hand signed the numbering?Are you surprised it sold for $2200?

Topnotchsy

Aug 7, 2008
So how would BGS slab that?Especially if someone hand signed the numbering?Are you surprised it sold for $2200?

Honestly I don't know what BGS would do with it. If they knew what it was they'd probably put that on the tag.

On the price, I think it's pretty low. It's around 1/2 what the numbered one above sold for, and while it was not released in packs, it does come from Ted's personal collection. I don't think auction houses are the best places to sell cards. Most big card collectors are on eBay (for modern cards at least.) Honestly, if someone offered it to me for $2200 today, I'd probably see if I could swing it.

SINFULONE

Sep 26, 2008
Honestly I don't know what BGS would do with it. If they knew what it was they'd probably put that on the tag.

On the price, I think it's pretty low. It's around 1/2 what the numbered one above sold for, and while it was not released in packs, it does come from Ted's personal collection. I don't think auction houses are the best places to sell cards. Most big card collectors are on eBay (for modern cards at least.) Honestly, if someone offered it to me for $2200 today, I'd probably see if I could swing it.

Interesting.I thought $2200 was high, but I concede I don't know much about them.Also, twice that for the other version blows my mind, but I guess there are die hard set collectors who would pay through the roof for them.I would agree that auction houses aren't the best way to list cards, but it does eliminate any risk of shady bidders.

bear0555

Aug 27, 2008

Have you owned any of the autos? I did lyk I've owned about 100 unsigned ones but this McCovey is my first auto:

$_57.JPG

SINFULONE

Sep 26, 2008
Damn, Williams sold for $12K.So the bat pieces on these cards came from the actual bat the player hit #500 with?

Topnotchsy

Aug 7, 2008
So it came from a random bat the player used?

UD never made any claims about the bat other than being GU'd by the player.

That said, the set was pretty much the first GU set for all-time greats. The design was really well done, and they are rare pieces. If you listed the top 5 more iconic insert sets of the last 20 years this would definitely be included and could arguably be #1 .

SINFULONE

Sep 26, 2008
That is a very nice set.Do you ever worry about the bat chips falling out of any of the cards over time.

Topnotchsy

Aug 7, 2008
That is a very nice set.Do you ever worry about the bat chips falling out of any of the cards over time.

As long as no one is aggressively playing with the card I don't imagine it would be an issue.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts