Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Do you thoroughly read all Ebay descriptions before purchasing?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rickeyfanatic

Aug 15, 2008
MA
Usually I do, but in a rare occasion, I bid on a card last minute without reading the description (picture looked good upon initial viewing) only to read it had some creasing around the die cut out for the jersey box.

Card was /12 so even though it may have some visual imperfections, I'm inclined to keep it.

gt2590

Super Moderator
Aug 17, 2008
Near Philly
I don't read the description too much when putting it on the "Watch" list, but definitely before placing bids...

rickeyfanatic

Aug 15, 2008
MA
I don't read the description too much when putting it on the "Watch" list, but definitely before placing bids...

I think that was my downfall, the seller is someone who I've bought from before, and I took it for granted that the card was in the type of shape I have received in the past. So I hadn't put a snipe in, and just bid at the end.

nkdbacks

Aug 7, 2008
AZ
Rarely to never. Has yet to bite me in the butt in 15+ years, but I'm sure I've jinxed it now.

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
yes, I read the descriptions for key descriptors, plus to see if the seller is honest enough to call out any flaws in the card. My favorite ones are the chipping on dark colored borders that usually don't show up well in the scans but the seller is decent enough to mention there is minor chipping.

I do try to scan the photograph really good. Usually makes or break a bid on an auto card depending on the quality I can perceive of the auto on the card (i.e. uniformly bold or bold and light, smudge or no smudging, sloppier auto than that athlete's auto on other cards in that same release, etc).

corockies

Mar 23, 2013
Colorado
I wasn't aware that sellers actually put descriptions on auctions. I kid I kid. Descriptions in auctions have become more sparse over the years however, as many sellers put the card info. in the title only and leave things like card serial # and team name completely out.

rickeyfanatic

Aug 15, 2008
MA
I've noticed that most sellers don't take the time anymore, they just say make your own judgement on condition. I didn't see anything in the photo that caught my eye, but the seller did mention it in his auction. Just hoping the card isn't terrible, I've seen some creased windows(usually due to bad packing/USPS sorting machines)

Dilferules

Aug 10, 2012
Auburn, WA
I don't usually read the description unless it's something that I know is condition-sensitive or it's a high-dollar (for me) card. As a team collector who is cheap as hell I bid on so much stuff that it'd really cut down on the amount of stuff I see if I read all the descriptions.

That being said, if I get a card with some damage and go back and find that it was listed in the description, I eat it and provide positive feedback because that was MY mistake, not the seller's.

rickeyfanatic

Aug 15, 2008
MA
That being said, if I get a card with some damage and go back and find that it was listed in the description, I eat it and provide positive feedback because that was MY mistake, not the seller's.

I completely agree with this statement, I can't blame anyone but me on this, just curious how many others have either done the same, or don't even read them on a regular basis.

gt2590

Super Moderator
Aug 17, 2008
Near Philly
I actually do long, detailed descriptions and I really think it helps my items.

But I only sell 5 items or so a Month, if that...

D-Lite

Nov 10, 2010
SF Peninsula
As a buyer I look at the scans closely and then read the descriptions somewhat quickly.

As a seller I list "condition as shown" with quite large scans. I don't like to put a NM/M or M or EX/NM on things because even though there are accepted levels within the conditions I find it's still highly subjective. I try to give the best picture I can of the card and if there is something that should be pointed out condition-wise I will definitely mention it. I don't like surprises for the buyer or as a buyer myself, but a clear, large scan should answer most.

finestkind

Aug 17, 2008
Massachusetts
The last auction I bid on, I got too excited about the item that one came up for auction. I didn't read the full description. I was happy i got out bid. I thought it was an unopened pack of the 1997 Topps marbles.

mmier118

Jan 29, 2010
I've been burned a few times by not reading the description. When I am I eat it, I've tried to get better at reading the
descriptions but it's easy to get in a hurry and not do it. I have to remind myself that ebay overall saves me a ton of money on the cards I want to buy so if a small percentage of my purchases go bad I'm ok with it. Heck I've got more money tied up in topps redemptions then the total value of my ebay deals gone bad lol.

Members online

Latest posts