Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Dave Stewart to Interview with the DBacks, Considered the Favorite

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

moxacaine

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Fredericksburg, VA
Jon Heyman posted this

Dave Stewart, the former star pitcher who's now a top player agent, has informed the Diamondbacks he will indeed interview for their open GM job.
Stewart, who posted four straight 20-win seasons while pitching for Tony La Russa, the Hall of Fame manager who is now the Diamondbacks' chief baseball officer, has been seen as a favorite for the D-Backs job that came open when La Russa decided to remove Kevin Towers from that role. Stewart will interview this week, though the exact date hasn't been set yet.

Stewart decided to interview after first talking to all his major-league players about his desire to investigate this prime front-office opportunity. He represents Matt Kemp, Chad Billingsley and Chris Carter, among other big-league stars following a career that also included coaching and front-office work. Stewart was the assistant GM of the Blue Jays and previously interviewed for GM jobs in Toronto and Milwaukee before beginning a successful agenting career.

The Diamondbacks have assembled an impressive group, though some see Stewart as a possible favorite. “Tony trusts [Stewart], and he thinks he deserves a chance,” one league official said.
Stewart surely has the best-rounded career of a varied group of 10 baseball people who have been under consideration since Towers was let go (Towers has been offered the opportunity to return to the team in a different role, and his decision likely will be based in part on the new GM).

But it is a strong group that also includes Cardinals executive Gary LaRocque, Dodgers assistant GM DeJon Watson, Rangers assistant GM Thad Levine, ex-Marlins GM Larry Beinfest, Red Sox executive Allard Baird, Angels executive Hal Morris, Diamondbacks scouting director Ray Montgomery, Yankees assistant GM Billy Eppler and ex-Astros GM Tim Purpura – though Eppler was reported by Foxsports.com and MLB.com to have bowed out due to his stated commitment to the Yankees.

The Diamondbacks are close to narrowing the group to a select number of finalists, perhaps three or so -- who will be re-interviewed, as first reported first by MLB.com. But first they will make time for at least one more prominent first-round interviewee, that being Stewart.

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/writer/jon-heyman/24710341/stewart-seen-as-a-favorite-has-agreed-to-interview-with-diamondbacks

DBacks fans, get your Stewart RC Autos!!!
http://www.ebay.com/itm/DODGERS-DAV...Cards&hash=item5d4704718b&hash=item5d4704718b

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
Whatever they decide , I just hope it brings in someone who can field a competitive team. The structure w LaRussa is odd, but I hope it pays off after they clean it up. Is really like Gibson to go as well to start over.

The first thing that stood our in that article was DS had four straight 20 win seasons ! Overall a lil above average career , but that's still bad ass

Ryan

gt2590

Super Moderator
Aug 17, 2008
Near Philly
Going with a brand new, in-experienced GM is not a good idea in this case IMO.

I really think they're close to being a Playoff team, with some tweaks, and I'd prefer they go with an Experienced guy who won't possible frig it up worse...

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
Going with a brand new, in-experienced GM is not a good idea in this case IMO.

I really think they're close to being a Playoff team, with some tweaks, and I'd prefer they go with an Experienced guy who won't possible frig it up worse...

I hear ya , but Towers was and that wasn't very enjoyable in the end . I think with TL there , it'll be less of a chance to mess it up if they guy is new

Ryan

Members online