Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

According to Tim Brown of Yahoo, it's okay for umpires to put their hands on players...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HPC

Aug 12, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
if said umpire is cleaning up the game of varmints like Jon Papelbon.

:facepalm:

Umpire Joe West could be fined for snatching up a handful of Jonathan Papelbon’s jersey – while Papelbon was still in it – so that West could rid himself of the puerile Phillies reliever and return to his position Sunday afternoon.

He will be criticized for ejecting Papelbon for what Papelbon claimed was a simple jockstrap adjustment and most suspect was not that at all, but rather a gesture that often comes with the phrase, “Yeah, I gotchure boos right here, pally.”

West could even be suspended, presumably, because there are rules against umpires putting their hands on players and other field personnel, no matter the level of the abuse.
He shouldn’t be fined and he shouldn’t be suspended, because good for Joe West.

He may wear this one in the wallet, but from the moment he trudged from his place near second base to the Phillies’ dugout, to his clear and unemotional ejection of Papelbon, to his efforts to disengage from the nuclear Papelbon and his heavy slog back to second base, he was right.

Somebody had to stand for a little dignity out there. Somebody had to remind Papelbon that his jockstrap adjustment could have waited another six feet, at which point he could have adjusted all he wanted in the privacy of his dugout (though admittedly without the same effect). Somebody had to show Papelbon that not everyone is his to offend, abuse or bully.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/jonath...a-different-kind-of-adjustment-025324693.html

Super Mario

Mar 1, 2009
Mushroom Kingdom
Tell Mike Matheny it's okay for an umpire to touch the players.

Anyone remember him flipping out on the home plate umpire for constantly putting his hand on his shoulder durning game play? He asked him to stop, and he kept doing it, and Matheny flipped out.

AmishDave

Featured Contributor, Collector Showcase, Senior M
Sep 19, 2009
Ely, MN
Waiting for a player to snap and just waffle a stupid ump. Angel Martinez, Joe West, Rob Drake, I'm looking at you !

I know if I were in Papelbon's situation, West would've been on the ground, flopping like a fish. **** do I hate that fat ****.

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
Joe West was suspended one game so apparently MLB HQ think it's inappropriate to touch a player. ;)

HPC

Aug 12, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
Jim Joyce should have been power bombed on the field and had his neck broken after his blown call at 1st base.

He would agree with you

I think people have forgiven Joyce because he immediately accepted blame and said he just ruined Galarraga's history

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts