Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Which player(s) attains superstar status this year and why?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
Simple question, who do you think will be considered a bona-fide superstar by seasons end (who is not already.)

My picks:

Grady Sizemore-Power speed combo is the best in baseball (outside of maybe Hanley Ramirez.) Only thing that kept last season from being the break-out year was the batting average, which was a bit low. Considering his BB/K ratio improved significantly, and he increased his power I think he got a bit unlikely with the BA last season and can see a jump this year. If he repeats 30/30 and hits .290, especially with power numbers down across the board, he'll be recognized as a legit star, especially with his solid defense, high OBP, great SB percentage.

Jose Reyes-IMO he's become underrated over the last couple of years. Huge seasons the last couple of years, and while he has worn down in September, I'm not convinced it's a real issue (I don't buy that it is at all.) .290, 15-20 homers, with 200 hits, 35 doubles and 15 triples is awesome, and I think he can even take it a bit higher. Throw in his solid BB/K ratio and IMO he's a true superstar, and will be recognized as such by the end of the year.

Who do you think will be a superstar by the end of the year?

Adamsince1981

Aug 7, 2008
Tulowitzki

He set the single season HR record for a Rookie SS in 07. After a tough 08 he is poised to have a break out year and at 24, a .300, 30, 100 w/ the NL GG could put him close to the top of the SS class.

KOBEARODLT

Sep 29, 2008
i consider the only superstars in the game right now to be arod, pujols and manny

so my picks to reach superstardom are grady...hanley...tulo...and braun

colts1888

Aug 28, 2008
NY
Cameron maybin-First full season has been tearing it up this spring and he is a 5 tool guy. I think he will have a monsterous year

Alex Rios- No bias here Im dead serious. He has changed his stance to hit more power he could easily be 30-30 40-40 potential

nborton

Aug 7, 2008
Winston-Salem, NC
KOBEARODLT said:
i consider the only superstars in the game right now to be arod, pujols and manny

so my picks to reach superstardom are grady...hanley...tulo...and braun

I know he has a lot of haters here, but Jeter should be on that list of current ones too. Just trying to think of guys that non-baseball fans would know.

I like your list of potentials. But they all have a downside why they wouldn't be. Mostly markets being the main factor.

First I'm not saying Sizemore is not good, he is, but he's always on these lists. It's like the cubs, it's always next year. He's an AS no doubt, but I wonder if he will ever get to superstar level now. That's nothing against him at all, most players never reach that level. It's a huge mix of factors outside of just playing well (market, media appeal, marketing appeal, etc.).

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
nborton said:
First I'm not saying Sizemore is not good, he is, but he's always on these lists. It's like the cubs, it's always next year. He's an AS no doubt, but I wonder if he will ever get to superstar level now. That's nothing against him at all, most players never reach that level. It's a huge mix of factors outside of just playing well (market, media appeal, marketing appeal, etc.).
Sizemore took a huge jump in production last season, and was one of the very best in baseball. He improved across the board and posted career high power numbers and stolen bases. His improved BB/K ratio also means his batting average should keep moving north. He's already one of the very best in the game.

aw00d05

Dec 18, 2008
Ian Kinsler, his numbers last year were about the same as Pedroia and he got hurt...

schmidtfan20

Aug 24, 2008
Is really anyone going to care about someone who plays on the Indians, Jays or Rockies? I don't think so. There
are plenty of good young players out there but guys like Hanley won't get any love until they move to a
big market!

Kevin

HoustonTeams4Me

Sep 9, 2008
Evan Longoria or Ryan Braun (not invested in either, actually don't own a thing of them except maybe a couple base cards). I think Jay Bruce could possibly reach the status but it will not be this year, he needs some time to show his abilities (you've gotta remember that many of the "common folk" have NEVER heard of Jay Bruce- they're not like us BBcard message board nerds whom know rookie's & prospect's through & through- & it will take more than 1 year of production to become a common household name; which is what categorize's a player as a "superstar" (at least my interpretation of it).
On the subject of D.Jeter, he's got the houehold name down but he's done so by means of being overrated (he's not now & never has been the caliber player of Pujols, Man-Ram, or Arod (good selection by the way, I'm not sure anyother current player can be included as of now; except maybe Ken Griffey Jr. whom is past his time as far as deserving that status from on the field production). The most recent superstar was Barry Bonds (though I don't care much for him) as he is nationally known & earned that right by producing like no other..."Top-Shelf" or "Elite". Before him I'd say McGwire, Sosa, Clemens (I'm sure there are more but I'm drawing a blank). JMO :D

matty07

Aug 7, 2008
Hamilton, Canada
ryan braun is already a star and so is lincecum.....Im hoping for big things this year from Tulo. I hope Zimmerman can put it all together cause he has it. Hanley to me is arguably top 3 players in the entire game. Josh Hamilton will have another monsterous year and last but not least my boy Alex Rios. He's worked on a new stance to get more power so im hoping huge thigns form him this year. By the way I dont give a crap if the player plays for the pirates or the yankees if hes putting up the numbers hes a star IMO

Members online

Latest posts