Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

The Refractor Project

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Philip J. Fry

Aug 9, 2008
Ohio
Not sure how many people remember this, but here goes.

A few years ago, I started a new collection: to obtain 1 refractor per set released in the 1990s. Topps Finest, Bowman Chrome, etc. Inserts, subsets, parallels. If there's a refractor variant, I want to collect it.

Health issues put that on hold, and I honestly let the domain slide. A few weeks ago, luckily, I was able to re-register the domain and I began building the site. As of right now, the site is complete: the layout, design, etc. is exactly how I want it. The only part missing, of course, is the cards.

Anyway, to keep from boring everyone here: http://therefractorproject.com

I branched out to all 4 sports in the 1990s: baseball, basketball, football, and hockey. I encourage you to visit, bookmark, and leave feedback. I posted something similar on Facebook, and while I know that not everyone is there, I wanted to post it here.

I already received some great feedback on the site, and so I will re-scan the cards I have now to allow for a consistent viewing experience.

Philip J. Fry

Aug 9, 2008
Ohio
Does anyone have tips on getting the best image quality of refractors? I started scanning last night and to be honest, I'm not happy with the results.

I'd like to show the cards with the rainbow effect you see in person when holding a refractor; but the scans I tested don't show at all. You can tell they're refractors, but it's not impressive.

fordman

Feb 22, 2013
Ohio
Use a dslr camera or at least a 10mp digital camera.

Sell me your Jay Bruce cards!

magicpapa

Aug 7, 2008
this any use to you??
1997toppsMit1998StarsandSteel031_zpsa53ebb9f.jpg

1997toppsMit1998StarsandSteel032_zpsd706817d.jpg

magicpapa

Aug 7, 2008
I believe it's embossed,player is raised up on the card............... if ya want it shoot me your addy

(Embossed is a 150-card partial parallel of the Silver and Gold fracture levels. Each card features the player's raised image. In addition the Gold Embossed cards have a die-cut "deckled" edge.

Each Embossed card is also available as a Refractor parallel. )

Last edited:

Philip J. Fry

Aug 9, 2008
Ohio
I believe it's embossed,player is raised up on the card............... if ya want it shoot me your addy

(Embossed is a 150-card partial parallel of the Silver and Gold fracture levels. Each card features the player's raised image. In addition the Gold Embossed cards have a die-cut "deckled" edge.

Each Embossed card is also available as a Refractor parallel. )

Thanks man. This will be the toughest parallel variation to obtain I believe. Well, behind the 1998 Bowman Chrome Golden Anniversary Refractors /5.

goobmcnasty

Apr 4, 2014
If it's embossed, definitely. If not, I have a 97 Finest Silver 'Warriors' Chuck Knoblauch already. I appreciate the offer!

Definitely the silver embossed refractor.

The silver embossed have the "Superfractor" look. The gold embossed are die-cut and have the "XFractor" look to them.

goobmcnasty

Apr 4, 2014
As for scanning refractors, I've found the best way is not to scan them at all... Take a digital picture. Have light hit them from one angle, and take a picture.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts