Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Keith Olbermann rant about Derek Jeter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Yes, the fans of Jeter won't like that at all, but it goes to show you how fan favoritism can really skew a point of view and how stats can slice just about anyone apart if you want to do so.

Mozzie22

Aug 7, 2008
I love it! Could not be more sick of this pompous ******. Announces his retirement before the year begins in order to get a year long knob slob from the entire American League. He was a HOF caliber player, I'll give him that but so overrated.

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
I love it! Could not be more sick of this pompous ******. Announces his retirement before the year begins in order to get a year long knob slob from the entire American League.
Your guy Ozzie Smith announced his retirement right before the All-Star Game and had that media frenzy and three-plus months of the National League knob-slobbing over his impending retirement.
Tons of great players announced their retirement before their final season began.

And here's your favorite player saying the opposite of what you think about Jeter's farewell tour.

"Very few players have the opportunity to take what is termed 'a tour,' " said Smith, whose own farewell tour didn't begin until after he announced his retirement midway through the 1996 season. "And with what he’s accomplished in New York, with the way he’s represented Major League Baseball, with his professionalism, his dignity, his pride and his honor, Jeter is certainly deserving of it."

Last edited:

Mozzie22

Aug 7, 2008
Your guy Ozzie Smith announced his retirement in June and had three-plus months of the National League knob slobbing over his impending retirement.
Tons of great players announced their retirement before their final season began.

And here's your favorite player saying the opposite of what you think about Jeter's farewell tour.

"Very few players have the opportunity to take what is termed 'a tour,' " said Smith, whose own farewell tour didn't begin until after he announced his retirement midway through the 1996 season. "And with what he’s accomplished in New York, with the way he’s represented Major League Baseball, with his professionalism, his dignity, his pride and his honor, Jeter is certainly deserving of it."

You cannot compare what Ozzie did with this god awful embarrassment. Ozzie announced his retirement mid season because he made a deal with Cardinals management over a nasty dispute with LaRussa. He was honored in a few National League cities but nothing like this joke tour Jeter is on. You say "tons of great players announce their retirement before the season." Really? Name some of these HOF caliber players that announced their retirement before the season. You shouldn't have any problem coming up with 8 or 10 because you did say "a ton."

Last edited:

phillyfan0417

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Greenfield, Wisconsin, United States
You cannot compare what Ozzie did with this god awful embarrassment. Ozzie announced his retirement mid season because he made a deal with Cardinals management over a nasty dispute with LaRussa. He was honored in a few National League cities but nothing like this joke tour Jeter is on. You say "tons of great players announce their retirement before the season." Really? Name some of these HOF caliber players that announced their retirement before the season. You shouldn't have any problem coming up with 8 or 10 because you did say "a ton."

I'll start the list:

Mariano
Chipper
Jeter

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Chipper Jones and Mariano Rivera most recently, and Nolan Ryan did too. That was a huge deal when I lived in Dallas.
I assumed many others had, as I remember farewell tours and All-Star tributes of Tony Gwynn, Cal Ripken and Ryne Sandberg, but they all made their announcement in June, conveniently before the All-Star game to get maximum media exposure.

The farewell tours all happen during an opposing team's later homestand, so it's going to happen whether the player retires in June or before the season.
And it's the teams and the media and PR people driving the over-exposure, not the players.

Teams like the Royals and Mariners don't care about Jeter. But they have to pay tribute to Jeter because the other teams are doing it and they'd look bad (or good depending on your viewpoint)

I'm sick of the nonstop coverage too, even moreso with Rivera, but to blame it all on Jeter and call him a "pompous ******" is wrong.
Jeter never got in trouble with the media or law and is a great role model for kids and the perfect face for baseball (unless you're offended by his dating famous models and actresses).

We only have to endure it another week. Then we have to suffer through the nonstop Arod coverage when he returns to the Yankees next spring.

nevermore

Aug 7, 2008
New York
Olbermann makes some good points, but obviously he doesn't present the other side of the story.

I agree that Jeter was a really good player over many years, but never really dominant. Even as a Yankee fan, I never idolized the guy. I always felt he was overrated, he gets grouped with guys who were much better.

jbhofmann

Mar 12, 2009
Indiana
I never thought of the guy as the best player in his league.

Hell was he even the best player on his own team for more than 5 years?

jrinne

Sep 25, 2008
I have never been a Jeter fan but i do admire him for playing with the Yankees for his whole career.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Freedom Card Board mobile app

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
Every team, every fan, wishes they had a "Derek Jeter" on their team for twenty years.

Sent from my HTCONE using Freedom Card Board mobile app

joey12508

Aug 7, 2008
Winterfell
Can wait for AROD to be back.

aaaarod_zps06fdee2c.png

Last edited:

phillyfan0417

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Greenfield, Wisconsin, United States
I never thought of the guy as the best player in his league.

Hell was he even the best player on his own team for more than 5 years?

Derek Jeter has to be in the top handful of Shortstops to ever play the game if you look at the body of work. Even if he was never the best player in the game, he's one of the best to ever play his position. Its easy to discount him when you put him up against players at higher value positions.

Members online

Latest posts