Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

What were your biggest surprises and disappointments this season?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

moxacaine

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Fredericksburg, VA
Let downs:
- How bad the Rangers did, they were supposed to be one of the best teams in baseball.
- Justin Verlander.... not much else i can say

Surprises:
- How Good Jose Abreu was
- Corey Kluber out of nowhere with a CY type season!!

Last edited:

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008
I don't know if I thought the Brewers would spend 150+ days in first place but sure got disappointing when they dropped. Also disappointed by Jimmy Nelson's MLB numbers as well as the fact that I can't seem to pass on his cards the farther they drop in price (what is wrong with me?). I would not like to speak of this season again. Bring on the cold dead winter

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
surprises:

number of times there were 3 errors on a play this season

dee gordon's season

yasiel puig leading the league (if not all of MLB) in outfield assists. We all know he has a cannon
but you'd think teams would act on that knowledge and not test Puig

Kershaw's domination - inked big contract this past offseason so thought he'd have a horrible year as a lot of players do in the first year of a new pact; also, I wasn't expecting a season era under 2 from him

letdowns:

not an exciting playoff race this year - it's looking like the final day may be meaningless to a team getting in or going home

had a difficult time trying to enjoy a kate upton leaked photo because of seeing verlander's bare butt in it! yuk!

hanley ramirez didn't answer the bell this year - makes me even more solid that the dodgers should not give him a major new contract but rather an average contract with incentives and make him play to his capability for the incentives.

Sig40cal

Jul 23, 2012
Atlantic Highlands, NJ
Biggest surprise was probably how well Tananka pitched when healthy. He can flat out deal.

Biggest letdown was seemingly every player on the Yanks spending big chunks of time on the DL this year, seemed like Joe never got to run the same lineup more than a couple days in a row before somebody else got hurt in some way.

corockies

Mar 23, 2013
Colorado
Biggest surprise was Tulowitzki not getting traded to the Yankees.

Biggest letdown was the Rockies giving Corey Dickerson the last 3 games off to be with his wife for the birth of their first child. C'mon Rocks - he only needed 6 more HRs for 30!

fordman

Feb 22, 2013
Ohio
Cincinnati Reds related:

Biggest Surprises:
1) How well Billy Hamilton started out. He was a little slow coming out of spring training then he fired up. He's cooled as of late because the whole Reds team took a dump after the All Star break.
2) Another surprise was how Todd Frazier ended up being the NL HR challenge competitor at the All star game.
3) One that might have over achieved was Bryan Pena, how he went from being back up catcher to fill in at 1B, when he'd never played in the infield before.
4) Johnny Cueto, he'd had 25-26 wins if he had run support from the rest of the team.

Biggest disappointments:

1) Jay Bruce, my PC guy. Not sure if it was his vision, his focus on the game, his family issues or if he just misses Votto on the bench. He takes full blame for his miserable season and his non-contribution to the team.
2) Votto, trying to play while he was hurt. If he would've just healed up correctly the first time, he'd been back by now.
3) How bad this whole team became coming out of the All Star break. They went into the break with a four team race for the NL Central, then out of the gate, plummeted almost to the bottom, next to the Cubs.

Non Reds Related:

Biggest Surprise:
1) How the Brewers managed to loose their way to third place and be eliminated from the race when they held the 1st place spot all season through to Sept.
2) How well the Pirates have become over the last two seasons and their contention in the NL Central.

Biggest Disappointment: How the Cardinals where able to bounce back after injuries and take the NL Central lead.

Fordman

SINFULONE

Sep 26, 2008
I was surprised how poorly Cardinals offense was, and that they still had to deal for pitching at the trade deadline.Was also surprised how bad Taveras, Miller, and Craig played as well.

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
Another surprise - 2014 is likely to be remembered as the year of the TJ surgery with so many big names undergoing surgery or still recovering from the surgery from late last season that they didn't make back onto the field in 2014.

moxacaine

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Fredericksburg, VA
how bad Bryce harper is
how bad Gio was

Agree with both of these. Gio has been very up and down all season.

But for Harper i think its more of his thumb not being 100%. He is playing much better lately though but still striking out more than i would like.

WaxPax

Not sure you can say not exciting play off race...you could have 3 potential game 163's tomorrow...sea/oak..KC/Det...Pit/Stl

surprises:

number of times there were 3 errors on a play this season

dee gordon's season

yasiel puig leading the league (if not all of MLB) in outfield assists. We all know he has a cannon
but you'd think teams would act on that knowledge and not test Puig

Kershaw's domination - inked big contract this past offseason so thought he'd have a horrible year as a lot of players do in the first year of a new pact; also, I wasn't expecting a season era under 2 from him

letdowns:

not an exciting playoff race this year - it's looking like the final day may be meaningless to a team getting in or going home

had a difficult time trying to enjoy a kate upton leaked photo because of seeing verlander's bare butt in it! yuk!

hanley ramirez didn't answer the bell this year - makes me even more solid that the dodgers should not give him a major new contract but rather an average contract with incentives and make him play to his capability for the incentives.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Freedom Card Board mobile app

hive17

Aug 7, 2008
Brewers collapse is MAJORLY disappointing

The Cespedes trade was a huge surprise.

Mike Fiers was a decent surprise for Milwaukee; he only gave up 3 ERs once in the 10 games he pitched.

Members online